Chapter eight

(Augustus)

I wasn't nervous. I wasn't nervous because I just didn't feel anything. I felt numb. But I did know, that I was walking into the best thing I've ever done in my life.

(Hazel)

I came downstairs. My parents had their eyes covered for me. "Okay." I said smiling nervously.

They both gasped. "Honey!" My mom said.

"You look..." my dad said. He began to tear up. "...so beautiful." he finished.

"I don't see what the big deal is." I said. "It is just a date, I've been on one before, in Amsterdam, two years ago, remember?" I said jokingly.

"I know, but...you've never looked more beautiful." mom whispered.

I smiled. "Thanks mom." I said

There was a knock on the door. "I'll get it." mom said walking to the door. It was Augustus. He walked in. As soon as he saw me, his jaw dropped.

"Hazel Grace." he said.

I laughed. "Augustus." I replied.

He grinned that wonderful crooked smile of his. "You look ravishing m'lady."

I gave a shy smile. He held out his arm. "Ready?"

I took it. "Yep."

(Augustus)

I rang the doorbell. Now, I felt nervous. Mrs. Lancaster opened the door and I nodded a thank you. I looked over at Hazel. My mouth dropped open. She was beautiful. She wore a deep purple dress that settled around her waist line perfectly. It had one sleeve that fell just under her shoulder and was down to her ankles. At the waist was a black seam that fit in perfect with the dark purple color. The one sleeve was clear except for a slightly darker shade of purple as the rest of the dress. It sparkled so nicely. She seemed to glow with it. Hazel had on a necklace with small black jewels in the center and a plain black bracelet.

"Hazel Grace." I said.

She laughed. Her laugh is so beautiful. "Augustus." she said back. I smiled.

"You look ravishing m'lady." I said, still smiling. She smiled shyly and blushed. She was so pretty. I held out my arm. "Ready?"

She smiled and took it. "Yep." she said. And then we walked to the car and the date began.

(Hazel)

He opened the door for me and I got in, pulling my bag up. He grabbed it for me. "Thanks." I said.

"No problem." Gus replied. He started the car and we began our swervy journey to...wherever he was taking me to eat.

Ten minutes later, we were walking into a place called "Sarah's." It looked very sophisticated and was only a few blocks from the hospital. We walked in to a brown haired girl with a short hair cut that looked like mine and was looking at a reservation paper. She looked up and smiled. "Hi!" She said. "My name is Emily, how may I help you?" She asked.

"Reservation for Augustus Waters." Gus said.

"I was just looking at reservation papers Mr. Waters.." she said politely. "...and here you are!" she added cheerfully. "I will find you two a seat immediately." She led us to a table for two and Augustus pulled out my chair and I sat down. Emily gave us a couple of menus to look at. "I'll be back in just a few minutes with water."

"Thank you." I said.

"Your welcome." she said. She was very pretty, she had high cheek bones and her eyes sparkled an ocean blue. It gave her a kind of French look. I liked it.

"Anything look good to you Hazel?" Gus asked.

"Yeah, I think I'm going to have the vegetarian lasagna. How about you?"

"Probably the lobster." He said. Emily came back with a pitcher of water and two glasses for us.

"Seen anything you liked yet?" She asked.

"Yes, thank you." Gus said. "She'll have the vegetarian lasagna and I'll have the lobster please."

"Alright!" Emily said, writing down our orders. "Your order will be ready in about fifteen to twenty minutes. Would you like me to bring you some champaign?"

"Yes please, that would be great." Gus said.

"I'll be back in a few minutes." she said. Then she walked into the kitchen.

I turned back to Augustus. He was staring at me warmly. I couldn't help but smile. "What?" I laughed.

"You are the most beautiful girl I have ever, in my entire life, laid eyes on." He said. I felt myself blushing.

"Thank you." I whispered shyly.

"I'm serious." he said, leaning in closer. "So here's the deal. I am going to talk and you are going to listen to every word I say, got it?" He said warmly but firm.

I nodded. "Got it." I did get it. I'm interested to see where this goes.

"First, you are the kindest most delicate girl I have ever met in my life. Every word you say, I listen, because every word you say is just as precious as you are. Your words are the best of all sounds, your voice is like music to me. You always know what to do whenever something happens, what to say. You never, ever have or will let me down. Second, you love me. You care about me just as much as I care about you. You love me for me, not because you want to use me, not because I have something you want and not because I'm just handsome." He grinned when he said that. I laughed, getting that weird feeling again, this time stronger. "Third, even I know how little time is left now. There will never be another wonderful chance like this to say all of this to you. Fourth, you have hope. When everyone else shuts down, you get up and do something. You are strong, confident and you can change people, you've changed me..." I felt my heart rate increase. "Hazel Grace Lancaster..."he got down on the floor and pulled something out of his pocket.

"Will you marry me?"