the second confession.

the second confession wasn't really a confession. it wasn't anything serious like: 'ohemgee! love me, take me, make me yours!'

oh, god no.

it was a simple goodbye.

i never confessed.

because i never realized.

we talked the last day and then i left the roof as usual.

he told me how he died. apparently, Ren confessed to the guy he liked (yes, a guy) and was rejected as well. then he came up here to just be alone and oops.

he fell off.

into the garden down below.

i figured he wouldn't leave, even though i found out he was really just a spirit.

he didn't.

but he did this day.

it was like any other day, me sitting down, us talking about stupid stuff, me showing him what i'd been drawing.

but he acted weirdly.

'do you think that you knowing about what i really am will change how you think of me?' he asked.

i stopped whatever i was doing. 'no. it kinda makes me look up to you, in a way. i mean, it's pretty cool getting to know a spirit.'

'thanks,' he replied. 'but it's not going to last. i'm leaving.'

'leaving? like, going up there?'

'yeah. i'm moving on. truthfully, the only thing holding me back was you.'

'me? why me?'

'because you were in distress, and i vowed to help you.' Ren laughed. 'spirits can't go back on their words. i was on my way to heaven before i accidentally promised to stay until you were better.'

i frowned. 'that's weird.'

'you're weird as well, neil.'

'just what every guy wants to hear.'

he smiled, then touched my hand. well, maybe not touch, but he attempted to. after all, he couldn't actually touch me.

'i won't be back tomorrow.'

and he wasn't.

'evangeline already left a long time ago.'

i knew that.

'you can't stay here anymore.'

i should. maybe some other spirit would find me.

'make up with selina, she's a good girl.'

that rejected me.

'and be friends with samuel, too.'

that, i could do.

'you should also become a teacher.'

i hate kids.

'you taught me a lot about the current world.'

thanks.

'but, i truly can't support you anymore.'

pessimistic bastard.

Ren began to fade and he stepped away from me. 'Bye, Neil Crawford.'

i looked away and tried to smile. 'Goodbye, Ren Holliander.'

during my mom's wedding, i remember how my aunt gave her a single daffodil because she forgot her purse at home and only had a couple bucks with her.

my mom got divorced with my dad two years after i was born.

then i learned that daffodils bring good luck when in a bunch, but bad luck when alone.

and now, i'm sitting in the hallway next to the door to the rooftop. it's loud, because classes are still going and its lunch break.

i remembered what happened during the wedding and put it to my own situation.

i was alone. again. i've been hanging around with sam lately, and that led me to start talking with selina again. i guess that means i made up with her.

but i don't like it.

not particularly.

and maybe it was because he disappeared, that he moved on. maybe it was because i was too stubborn to realize it until now.

but the truth was that i liked him.

i probably loved him, but i don't think i was in love with him. we only knew each other for a month or so, anyways.

it wasn't like Ren made a huge impact on my life.

...

...

...

okay, maybe i did fall in love with him.

...

...

...

Ren was really alone, wasn't he?

...

just like a single daffodil.