Chapter 40

Word Count: 4420

Alexis's POV

I woke up alone in the guest bedroom and hurried out of bed to find Lizzie. I kind of wish I'd woken up before her. I headed straight into the kitchen to find Lizzie, already dressed and making breakfast. The stereo was playing in the background and she seemed to be in some sort of trance. I didn't want to spook her, so I quietly took a seat at the bar.

I watched Lizzie get lost in cooking for a while until she finally noticed me. She jumped a little making me avert my eyes out of fear. "Well good morning to you too!" Lizzie chuckled.

"Hi," I told her softly. I wasn't entirely sure if Boyd was here or not and if and I wasn't sure what had happened after I fell asleep last night. I'm just assuming something did because while Lizzie was trying to get me to sleep last night, her eyes were glued to her phone. I wanted to ask her but it didn't seem like the right moment. I eventually fell asleep either out of exhaustion or Lizzie's persistency, she was alternating between playing with my hair and rubbing my back.  It felt nice, safe even, which is something I rarely feel after a nightmare, especially one like last night.

Lizzie looked like she had gotten barely any sleep, so I was wary. When Josh was this way, I just did my best to avoid him at all costs. I also felt bad because I knew Lizzie's lack of sleep was my fault.

"We're gonna eat some breakfast, then we're gonna go explore New York," Lizzie smiled at me but it seemed a bit forced.

"Didn't you live here for like a decade?" I asked wittily trying to match her energy. Her lack of acknowledgment about last night was concerning, but the fact that she didn't mention Boyd made me think he was gone.

"Yes, but there's a lot I want you to show you," Lizzie answered.

"Like what?" I prompted.

"Tons of things," she grinned.

"Do I get to know? Or is it a secret?" I questioned sinking deeper into this blissfully ignorant conversation.

"It's a surprise, all you need to know is that today is just me and you and no one else," Lizzie beamed.

"Okay," I agreed simply with a small smile knowing that I was correct that Boyd wasn't here.

Breakfast was painstakingly long and after a few rounds of me crying over waffles, it was finally over. I don't know what clicks in my mind anymore but it's like leading up to the meal when I know it's coming I'm anxious, my brain is just screaming no. Then during the meal, I'm desperate as hell to get it over with whether it's refusing or slowly gulping down the food. And after it takes a while for me to calm down and get a grip that it's okay.

"Why don't you go get dressed and we can head out?" Lizzie suggested planting another kiss on my head as I was currently wrapped in her embrace not wanting to let go. If I had to pick a favorite place, I think it'd be right here in Lizzie's embrace where I can hear her heartbeat, where I know she's real and she's here with me, and most importantly that this isn't a dream.

"Fine," I huffed letting go reluctantly as Lizzie let out a small laugh. I headed into the bedroom and grabbed my overnight bag to bring with me to the bathroom.

I shut and locked the door behind me before turning in the water and undressing. I peeled off my bandaids including the large one on my wrist before getting in. Lizzie will have to help me rewrap it. Standing under the water I could fully see all the scars that littered my body like the stars in the sky. Each one is unique, telling a different story, and always there even if you can't see it at first. I love the stars but I hate my scars. I hate the attention they bring me, the pitiful stares and sick feeling that people say they have when they look at me. Luckily I'm in the shower so my tears blend right in without anyone needing to know. Showers have started to turn into a safe place for me in a way that probably wasn't the best. It was the one place where I was pretty sure Lizzie wouldn't interrupt me, I could lock the door and feel my feelings without worrying about those around me. It was like a hidden gem I never knew could exist, at Josh's my showers were rarely warm and ever pleasant.