Chapter 31

Lizzie's POV

I woke up to my alarm and an empty bed the next morning. I quickly shut off my alarm before pulling myself out of bed. I headed to the closet to pick out some clothes for the day before jumping in the shower.

By the time I was out, dressed, and ready for the day, it was about seven-thirty meaning time to get Alexis up. As I exited my bedroom, hers was wide open and the bed was made. Her few bags are no longer stacked against the chair like last night. It looked as if she was never here. That almost sent me into a spiral until I heard some noises from the kitchen.

There's no way it was Boyd because he had a very early work meeting followed by a magazine shoot. Was Alexis cooking?

I hurried down the hall to see her daughter fully awake, bags by the door, and making breakfast. What the heck is going on?

"Good morning," I said announcing my presence.

"Hi," Alexis answered but didn't look up at me.

"How long have you been up?" I asked walking closer to her.

"I'm not sure," Alexis replied but it didn't sound convincing.

"Oh did you see the sunrise?" I questioned trying to gauge how long she actually slept.

"I'm not sure," Alexis replied in a weak tone.

"Oh okay. What are you making?" I asked taking a seat at the bar.

"Just some eggs," Alexis replied dishing up two plates, which I'm hoping one is for her. She desperately needs to eat something.

"Do you need any help?" I asked as I watched her masterfully season both plates.

"Nope," she grinned a little at her creation.

She slid a plate of food in front of me before sitting down at the bar with a seat in between us. I looked over and saw that her plate has considerably less amount of food. I was about to comment when she explained herself.

"I'm not that hungry so please don't push me," she said quickly before picking up her fork. Maybe we've been too hard on her this weekend? Maybe that is why she hasn't been eating?

"Thanks for breakfast," I smiled at her. I have never actually eaten her cooking so this was new for both of us. I was proud neverthelesss. She was eating and not completely breaking down. The lights were still dim and the blinds were still shut so there wasn't much light, so it was hard to truly read her expressions. I just hope she's feeling better about things after our talk last night.

Alexis ate quickly and got up to put her dishes away but beige she could wash them, I offered, "Hey I've got those you cooked, I'll wash."

"It's fine," she replied quickly before turning on the faucet.

"Alexis I've got it please let me do something," I tried again.

"No, I'm ready to go and you're not yet, I can do the dishes and you can get ready," she told me firmly. This was a complete change in demeanor and I was starting to get worried. Where did this come from?

"Thank you," I replied not wanting to start an argument this early.

Once I was finished, I still washed my own dishes despite her telling me, she's got it. I'm her mom, and she's still little, she can let me take care of her.

"Hey, can I have a hug?" I asked her after setting my dishes on the drying rack.

"I'm washing this pan," she informed me bluntly.