18. HIS FEAR OF LOSS

Her vision blurred as she sunk deeper into the freezing lake.

A strong water force came from the bottom of the lake and pushed her body up at speed as she turned not being able to make out where the surface was.

Trying to inhale she swallowed more water as an arm slivered around her waist, pulling her and her heavy clothes out of the water and onto its surface.

She grabbed onto it in panic and fear of sinking again as Rowan held her up, "I have got you."

Coughing and spitting Mariann blinked trying to see but ended up throwing up water instead.

Nauseated and drenched she couldn't tell if they were still being shot at and if her master hadn't spoken she wouldn't have known it was him.

Using his arm to help herself up she turned to Rowan and wrapped her arms around him in fear, tightening her grip on his clothes.

Rowan returned her embrace by holding her by the waist to support her.

His eyes shot to his knight who had watched him and repeatedly apologized for letting her go. His gaze traveled to the land where he'd cut down any and everything that had been within a kilometer of range.

He had planned to get rid of any cover of the enemies that were hiding in the woods but he must have crushed some on the process.

It seemed quiet and nothing moved.

"What should we do now my Lord?" The knight asked waiting for orders.

"We're heading back the way we came to meet up with the others." He said panting as he tried getting Mariann to loosen her embrace.

"Let go," he commanded not wanting to stay on the lake, but her grip only tightened as she shook.

He softened his voice pulling one of her arms off him, "I won't let you fall."

Shivering she let go of his waist and clung to his hand for dear life, making his large fingers hold hers.

Never letting their eyes off the shore they walked over the lake towards the hill they'd come from.

Rowan grit his teeth in thought. He'd lost two men and couldn't even be sure that he'd managed to take his enemies down. He hoped that the other three knights had not run into the same problem, but judging by the loud noise he'd made cutting down a large part of the woods around him that they'd probably noticed and would see them retreat on the lake.

He chose to go back to avoid going too close to the border as the sun had cast large shadows in the valley making it grow darker by the minute.

He'd not sensed any form of wielding while they were attacked besides his own and the ones his men had used to shield themselves.

He noticed how cold Marianns hand was as the small figure cautiously walked next to him concentrating on every uneasy step.

He didn't have much power left after having used so much but he could still dry her. He held his hand in front of her making her look up at him as he pulled the water away from her leaving her dry.