6. LOOKING FOR FORGIVENESS

"Darn it," Rowan cursed under his breath. His intentions weren't to hit her as hard as he did but in the heat of the moment his attack turned out tougher than he wanted it to.

He picked up the motionless woman by the legs and shoulders, leaning backward while doing so, that her head leaned into his chest. He wasn't sure if she was conscious but she certainly couldn't walk. He looked at her face but found no reaction.

Carrying her to where he'd told the others to stay he soon met them. The group looked horrible as all eyes turned to him when he came through the woods towards them.

They were dirtied from their fights and cuts and bruises had been unavoidable.

Monor had been struck by the leg, and Laria had a cut in her arm, while Alec had a bloody nose. Although the young Lord had injured them all, he'd been careful not to be to hard on them. He'd forgotten to hold back when Mariann had suddenly charged right at him.

The boy got up with a worried look on his face. "Is- Is she alright?" He asked, now much more frightened by his new master than before the test.

The young Lord walked over to a patch of moos and gently laid Mariann in it. "I think so," he whispered more to himself than to Alec.

He turned to the three of them. "I know that those fights were hard, but you've all proven yourself, and I assure you it was the first and only time I will make you go through something like this."

Laria wasn't listening as her eyes had fixated on Mariann. The poor thing, she thought.

No one answered the Lord. Everyone was tired and in pain. They'd tried their best to treat their own wounds but they all looked worse than they were. None of them had really been in danger but fear had gripped all of them.

Rowan stood upright trying to keep his authority, before asking, "Can you all walk?"

This time everyone nodded. Turning to look at Mariann who still hadn't moved he went to pick her up again.

"We're going back to the village," he commanded.

On the way back grunts of pain and silent panting were the only thing to be heard.

Mariann opened her eyes to see the blurry face of her master. She concentrated on the braches and the trees that seemed to move past them as she looked at the sky until she faded off again.

When they finally arrived back the Lord told them to follow him into the Inn. He took them to the chamber he had been sleeping in last night. It was a small room with a fireplace and a bowl of water to clean himself. He gently placed Mariann against the wooden wall of the room on the ground.

"Laria, and Monor, come with me I need your help," the Lord said not taking his eyes off Mariann.

"Could-," Laria said contemplating on going on.

He looked over his shoulder waiting for her to finish what she wanted to say.

"Could I maybe, uhm, stay here? To look after Mariann?" She asked hesitantly grabbing the bottom of her rag. 

Tired and worn out, he nodded, before leaving with only Monor.

Laria walked over to the water bowl, in search of a rag. Alec sat down next to Mariann who to him looked like she was sleeping.