Prologue

"To see you smile is to feel the sun, your grace

"To see you smile is to feel the sun, your grace."
-Sebastian The Bastard

。.✦ ☾

A room draped with silks and fine furniture was illuminated by the rising sun. The scent of jasmine and honey circled the room as a maid gently burned incense near the large bed. The maid bows and she slowly retreats. Vera who now stood alone in her bedroom, pinned her hair up as she made her way around her cluttered room. The young Goddess curses under her breath when she stubs her toe on the end of her bed.

"For a Goddess, you are a mess." A soft voice floods the room. Vera looks up and she finds her mother at the entrance of her room. Vera clears her throat and she straightens up her back. "Mother, Good Morning. W-what brings you to my room?" Vera asks, with her foot she pushes one of her corsets under her bed.

Hera scoffs, shaking her head. "Where are the servants, your room is a disaster." Hera hisses, staring at the mess lying on the ground. "I gave them the weekend, and I don't mind a little mess," Vera says, pressing her fingers to her wrist, and nervously scraping her nails against her skin. Hera rolls her eyes.

"Never mind that. I'll send the staff in to get this disaster of a room fixed and to get the monstrosity of a mess on your hair fixed. We are going to Asgard in a few hours." Hera announces

Vera's eyes widen and she watches her mother march out of her bedroom, only for the staff to come bustling in.

....

Vers softly grunts as her ladies maid tightens her corset, gripping the end of her bed as if her life depended on it. "By the gods." Vera breathes, bringing a hand to her stomach, struggling to breathe. The maid smiles to herself. "Sorry, my Princess." The maid teases

Vera giggles, "It's alright, it's just ridiculous really, these corsets are Hel sent." Vera groans, her maid chuckles, her knuckles straining against the strings.

"Are you excited my dear, I heard Asgards princes are gorgeous." The maid teases, leaning forward, Vera scoffs. "Oh no, they don't matter to me, the garden is what I'm interested in, I know cliche, but I heard that the Midgardian star can be seen perfectly from there," Vera says

"And it's a quiet place to read those books of yours." The maid offers "Oh yes." Vera says with a soft smile. "You know for a girl who reads a lot of romance, you sure do avoid it." The maid says, smiling in amusement.

But Vera doesn't find it as amusing, sighing deeply. It's a sad reality of a princess, goddess of not.

"Rosa, as a princess, falling in love has never been within my luxury, so what's the point? I mean we both know what this visit is all about. I have no choice on who I marry or who I love." Vera says

Rosa hums, eyes sad. "I'm sorry dear, I wish I could be of help." Rosa says "You are helping, you have been the closest thing to a real mother, and I love you for it." Vera admits, meeting the woman's gaze.

Rosa smiles. "And you are the closest thing to being my daughter," Rosa says, only to tighten the corset string, making Vera exclaim in surprise.

....

Hera stands in front of Vera, eyeing her appearance, humming deeply as she judges her. "Acceptable," Hera says bluntly, turning and nodding to the usher.

Vera wished she could let out a breath of relief, but the corset kept all breath from escaping her chest.

Hera parts her ruby-red lips. The goddess was not kind with her words, she never was, not even for her most promising daughter. The woman carried no love in that cold dark heart. "And a quick warning before we land, don't offend the Allfather, or there will be grave consequences. You may think that this visit is a death sentence, but you won't be able to begin to imagine the pain I will inflict on you if this goes to shit." Hera warns, tightening her fingers around her daughter's wrist.

Vera can feel her heart jump in fear, her face paling. "Understood Mother," Vera answers timidly, keeping her head down in her mother's presence. Suddenly she feels two fingers on her chin, lifting her gaze. The blonde meets the steel gaze of her black-hearted mother. "And when in the presence of the princes, keep your head down, don't you dare challenge them. And don't you ever tempt them into taking your maidenhood?" Hera warns, her eyes cruel and watching.

Vera can feel her own eyes darken. There was one thing she could control and that was who she gave her virginity to. Vera wanted to scoff in her mother's face and say it was too late to preserve it. That she was the very same slag she feared, but she knew that would only earn her a backhand to the face and disownment from her father.

"Yes, mother," Vera answers