Chapter 25

"So yeah...that's the truth." I sighed.

As the words finally escaped my lips I felt the immense weight they carried lift off of my shoulders.  I glanced towards Luna and Exie, both of them looked pale as ghosts. Exie tumbled down onto the floor while Luna braced herself against one of the bed posts. I rushed over to help them but they both waved me away. The silence in the room killed me and made me wonder if I had made the right choice. 

This is bad. 

"Luna, Exie, I-"

"Shhh! Let me process!" Exie shouted. 

Luna finally brought her gaze to me, wide eyed and full of questions. 

"So Prudence, you mean to tell us that "you know who" is practically your adoptive father?" Luna was beside herself with confusion. 

"I wouldn't say that, he was more of a captor really. I never met him until recently, before that most of my life I was handed from one Death Eater to another. It wasn't a very familial environment. " I chuckled light heartedly. 

Both girls looked at me as if I'd been released from a mental institution. I began twiddling my thumbs as I paced the room. Exie and Luna began to whisper to each other while I began working up an anxious sweat. I had no idea what they were saying but I was about to lose my mind. 

"Everything you have said to us has been a lie, you don't have any living parents, you didn't transfer here, you really were just raised to be a spy." Exie stated amusedly. 

"I mean...when you say it like that...it...it...sounds pretty bad." I stuttered. 

"I'm sorry, I'm just in shock. I don't know whether to be angry with you or feel sorry for you." Exie replied, a hint of annoyance in her voice. 

"Exie please, did Prue really have a choice? Her mother was killed and she was kidnapped as a baby to be raised by some of the most loath some people on this planet. I hardly think she did this for the fun of it!" 

Luna was actually defending me, she still cared about me even after finding out the truth. My eyes were overflowing with tears as sobs began to wrack my body. I collapsed onto the floor in a heap of aching muscles and bones. I had not realized how much tension my body had been holding since the conversation started but it finally dissipated. Luna came towards me with her arms outstretched, she lowered herself to my level and enveloped me in a hug.  

"There there, you're safe and loved now." She whispered into my ear. 

I let myself be overtaken by all the emotions I had been stifling for the last 15 years of my life. Luna's soft hands rubbed my back, something I imagine a mother would do to comfort her crying child. I could hear Exie sniffling from the other side of the room. After what felt like an eternity of constant wailing I was able to regain my composure. 

"Sorry." I mumbled as I wiped my eyes with the sleeves of my sweater. 

"Don't be sorry, you did the right thing by telling us." Luna smiled cheerily.

"I mean it took you long enough." Exie chimed in. 

Luna whipped her head around so fast towards Exie I thought it was about to snap off. I'm not sure what look Luna gave Exie but it was enough to make her apologize immediately. 

"All I'm saying is" Exie sighed, "I'm glad you told us but I wish you would have trusted us sooner. I mean Prue you are one of the best friends I have made here at Hogwarts, knowing that you've been going through this alone, really sucks." She rested her hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, I wish I had said something sooner but I was scared you guys would hate me or worse, by telling you I'd put you guys in danger." I sniffled.