XXXVI: The Walk in the Park

Holyyyytyyyy shitttt you guys. Hey. It's been a LONG minute. I apologize. Life is cray. Anyways here's 5,000 words to make up for it. Very cringey very cliche very sappy. Hope you enjoy this somehow. We are nearing the end. :)

Thursday, April 11th
3:15 pm - Annabeth's backyard
36 weeks and 1 day pregnant

Annabeth sighed, lowering herself into the chair.

"Gettin' there, huh?" Connor said, looking at her with a kind smile.

She chuckled, a hand placed on her belly. "Almost. I keep telling myself I have a month, but, really, before I know it, there'll be a little baby in my arms," she agreed.

Silena sighed contently, a smile making the rosy apples of her cheeks prominent. "That's so exciting! I can hardly wait to meet the little guy."

"That makes all of us," said Will. Everyone nodded and agreed.

Annabeth smiled. It was a Thursday, and her friends probably had a myriad of things to do and homework to finish, but they had come to see her and spend some time over. Annabeth was barely ever getting out these days—not only did she need to lay low but she was pretty pregnant and feeling all the symptoms of it, which made it hard to get around. She wasn't completely immobile and was still active around the house, of course, but it tired her out a bit occasionally. And for as much as she insisted that she could take care of herself, because she could, Thalia, her father, and Percy simply wouldn't listen.

"Especially me," Percy added, walking outside. In his hands were chips and waters which he placed on the table. It was a beautiful day out—one of the first warm spring days. Annabeth had always loved days like this, ever since she was a kid, when the little flowers sprung up as the ground began to thaw. The sun felt so nice on her skin.

Percy pulled up a chair next to Annabeth and sat down after placing a kiss on her head. She smiled.

"So, tell me what I've missed this week," Annabeth said, opening a bottle of water and taking a sip.

"Things have been pretty good," Grover started, digging into the chips.

"Yeah, student council is finally starting to come up with concept themes for prom," Silena said, that special glint in her eye that shined whenever she talked of something she was excited about. 

"Well, no one's got an eye for decor like you do, Sil," Annabeth replied.

"Yeah, but no one knows how to plan an event like you, Anna," she insisted and Annabeth gave her a smile. It was hard not to be a part of all the things that she loved and had looked forward to for the past three years, especially prom.

"Speaking of prom," Katie started. "Do you think you'll be able to go?" She looked at Annabeth with big eyes. Her best friends knew more than anyone that she had been excited for prom since she was all of eight years old. To think that she probably wouldn't be able to go was something she tried not to do often--it was too hard.

"I'm not sure," she admitted. "It really all depends on how the birth goes. If everything goes well, there's a small chance I could go, but..." she trailed off and pursed her lips. "I don't think it's likely."

Everyone seemed to get a little glum at that, giving her sympathetic looks. But she didn't want them to be upset over her--they needed to go and have a good time for her.

"I don't know what you're talking about, blondie," Travis cut in. "You can dance in a wheel chair," he joked, making everyone laugh. Annabeth smiled and shook her head at him--she was grateful for the lightness of his humor.