Chapter 16 (1/?): The Hunt Begins

Start from the beginning

With the sun blinding him he couldn't see her face but her angelic voice was all the confirmation she needed. Nita jumped off his chest so he could reach out to her. As he was lifted from his prone position Jessie's dazzling smile came into view.

Her hair had again been braided by the village stylists. This time she had part of her follicles tightly locked around her skull. It made her look like a princess wearing a woven ginger crown. The excess hair was skillfully sewn into a much skinnier ponytail that alternatively sat against her shoulder. Even the skies above aided in her angelic appearance. The sun above sat behind her face to create a glowing halo with its stunning corona.

Tyler once again found himself mentally drooling as he stared into her green eyes. She had grown used to his goofy gaze but with the village's eyes surrounding them she felt a bit embarrassed. "Tyler?"

The boy's eyes fluttered awake, "Umm... uh. Yeah. Yes... right. Uh." Tyler found himself struggling to rest his hands somewhere. They found their home against his hips as he put on a confident air. "How, uh... How are you?"

Jessie stifled a snicker. "I'm fine. Just..." she presented a small wooden bow twice the length of her waist. "Getting ready for the hunt."

Tyler dropped his bravado. "Oh right. You're hunting too." The two silently stared at each other. Tyler couldn't stand this, "Let me-"

Jessie quickly cut him off. "I already know you can't go. No point trying to convince me."

Tyler bit his lip. "You can't go in there alone."

A large group of villagers strolled past on happenstance. All carrying weapons and laughing about their plans during the hunt. Jessie smirked, "I don't think I'll be alone."

"I mean. You know. They won't be flanking ya rear the entire time. Let me."

"Flank my rear?" Jessie was a bit taken aback by the wording.

"Not like that! I meant. Who's gonna watch ya back?"

On cue, Nita bounced up from behind her. The monstrous girl gained a loving head pat from the older mechanic. "Relax, Tyler. I'll be fine."

Tyler again attempted to plea his point but was abruptly cut off by a large brown palm. This massive mitt was currently yanking Tyler's smaller frame into its owner's broad body. "Friend, Tyler. You should not weep."

Tyler was flabbergasted by Smokey's claims. "I'm not crying."

"Though your eyes shed no tears your heart cries for help." Smokey's large bottom lip comically quivered to drive his point. "But fret not. For I am here to save your day."

"I don't need-"

"Come!" Smokey yanked Tyler away from the tree line, "I have much planned for us."

Jessie watched as Tyler grumbled, "Why are you talking like that?" whilst Smokey dragged him through the crowd. She and Nita snickered at the hot-head boy's now docile mission. Though Jessie didn't get to relax for long. She could feel the unease in the air. Specifically, she noticed a dreadful aura radiating from her brother.

During the entirety of their interaction Colt had remained silent. He didn't join in the playful jostling of Tyler. He didn't vouch for Jessie to back out of the hunt. He silently stared at his spear, with a morose mug to boot.

"Colt?" Jessie nudged her brother's shoulder.

"Huh? Oh, hey Jess... didn't see you there." Colt looked past her. "Where's Tyler?"

"Smokey grabbed him." She noticed the fear in his eyes. "Are you okay?"

"Hmm? Oh yeah... yeah. Just," Colt's grip on the staff tightened. "Nervous."