20

Perching on the edge of a boulder, Maleficent watched as Aurora ducked to avoid another large dollop of mud, flung in her direction by a mischievous wallerbog. She'd been gone most of the morning, having left Diaval to watch over the girl whilst she took to the skies.

"I wonder if she'll ever grow tired of this?" Diaval asked with faint amusement.

"Perhaps as she grows," Maleficent said thoughtfully, wondering how Aurora's smile managed to light up everything around her, even with a face full of dirt.

"She's talked of nothing else all morning, you know?" he said. "Just Prince Philip and this picnic. What she'll wear, how she'll have her hair. It's good you're letting her go."

Maleficent said nothing, eyes still trained on Aurora.

"What do you suppose he wants, anyhow? This Prince?" Diaval asked.

"Oh, come now Diaval, don't act coy. What do all young men want?" the fairy pointed out.

"Well... perhaps it's not just about that. Maybe he's looking for his queen?" he suggested.

"And what other use to men have with queens?" Maleficent drawled.

He laughed nervously. "You'll give us all a bad name, Mistress. I'm sure Prince Philip's intentions are nothing but honourable..."

"I'm glad that you are sure."

"What are you worried about?" he asked. "Are you worried her head will be turned? That she'll outgrow the moors?"

That she'll outgrow you.

"Don't be ridiculous," Maleficent responded, her voice softening in the next breath as she glanced back across at Aurora. "She is barely of age."

"Do you want me to accompany her?" Diaval asked, sensing his mistress' concern.

Maleficent chuckled. "I think you have proven your clear incompetence for such matters already, Diaval. I will accompany Aurora to meet Prince Philip."

"I'm sure he'll be thrilled," Diaval muttered, sarcastically.

Maleficent raised her hand to turn the man into something more fitting, but found herself knocked sideways as she became the recipient of armfuls of teenage girl.

"Stand down you abhorrent beast! You're filthy!" the fairy cried, managing to stave the girl off for long enough to cast a quick cleaning charm over her before Aurora's body crashed against her.

"Hello Fairy Godmother," she giggled, wrapping her arms around Maleficent's waist and scooting round to sit on the boulder beside her.

"Whatever is the matter?" Maleficent asked, recovering from the shock.

"I missed you this morning," Aurora told her

"Beastie, I have been gone for a matter of hours," she pointed out.

"Can I not miss you, all the same?" the girl countered, settling her head in the crook of her Godmother's neck.

Maleficent hummed in protest, but her hand found its way to Aurora's cheek, stroking the child's soft skin rhythmically.

Diaval smirked, as it occurred to him that his mistress had no need to worry at all.

Catching him out of the corner of her eye, Maleficent went back to her original plan.

"Into a worm!"

Ω Ω Ω Ω

Prince Philip examined himself in the mirror before casting a glance back in the direction of his parents.

"What do you think?" he asked, gesturing to his current outfit.

"I think Princess Aurora will appreciate your company regardless of what you are wearing," his father told him.

"She's not a Princess anymore," Philip reminded him, turning his attention to the maid standing beside him. "Could you bring me the green one, please?"

"I'm sure there are far more eligible women out there," his mother said, coming to stand beside him.

"You don't approve?" he surmised.

Queen Ingrith sighed. "Would it change your mind if I didn't?"

Philip smiled. "Probably not."

"She really is just a peasant, you know," she reminded him

"Well... she's Queen of the moors," he pointed out, shrugging.

"Ah, yes. Raised by a... fairy," his mother said, unable to hide the hint of disgust in her voice. "Just what is your game, Philip?"

"There is no game, mother. I'd simply like to get to know her further," he told her, taking the second outfit from his maid and holding it up against himself. "I'm not sure about this one..."

"Really my dear, I don't see any harm in it," King John told his wife. "He simply likes the girl, and if their friendship blossoms into something more and serves to wager peace between Ulstead and the moors, all the better."

Philip chuckled. "I'm not sure about that, father. I don't get the impression that Maleficent is too fond of me."

"Her kind will never be able to coexist peacefully with us," Ingrith told him. "And she cannot abide humans, or so I've heard."

"Well she's abiding that girl. She's mothering her," John pointed out. "She can't be all that bad. What is it they say in the Bible? 'Love thy neighbour?' Perhaps you should give her a chance. Now if you'll excuse me, I have letters to write."

Ingrith watched as her husband disappeared back into the corridor, swiftly followed by Philip, who announced he needed to consider a suitable gift for Aurora.

Silence followed, and eventually, Ingrith turned her attention to the maid in the room.

"Do you know what else it says in the Bible, Agatha?"

"What's that, Your Highness?" the girl asked, somewhat nervously.

"'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live'," the queen said, her voice dangerously low.

Agatha dared a glance in her direction, unsure how to respond.

For a moment, Ingrith's face bore a stony expression.

And then her lips turned up into an exaggerated smile.

"Do make sure my son looks the part, won't you?"

Ω Ω Ω Ω