Chapter 12

Chapter 12: A Wake of Connections

As the night grew deeper after the attack at Heian, Arthur had returned to the Council Room to see that there were three people present, seemingly waiting for him. "What has become of your prisoners?" The woman asked as the twin males looked at him with raised brows. "To what interest may that be for you, Vera Scaleswind?" Arthur asked as she looked at him with a dignified stare.

"An enemy of yours is an enemy of mine

"An enemy of yours is an enemy of mine. That was always my reason, Arthur." Vera said as she stood up. "They escaped." Arthur said as he walked towards the twins. 

"Kendrick

"Kendrick. Kendell." The two turned to face Arthur with a smile. "Let them escape. And more importantly, we need information on the new Abyssal." Arthur said as his eyes looked at Vera. "What is it?" Vera asked, knowing that Arthur is bothered by something. "His name is Cameron from what I heard, but he resembled someone I knew formerly. I want you three to find out anything about him that is worth taking note." Arthur said as the three nodded. 'Something doesn't add up.' He thought as the three started to show a map they had drawn out of possible routes to Lordeque.

Meanwhile, Wilhemina and Sylvanna were nearby the front's camp. "Soldiers!" Sylvanna called as they turned to Sylvanna, shocked to see Cameron's bloody appearance. "Help us carry him back to the Castle!" Wilhemina said as the soldiers nodded, rushing towards them, lifting Cameron like he was a piece of cotton. In the Castle, Annalisa felt Cameron's presence appear in Lordeque, making her worry as she hadn't heard from the three in week. "Milady!" A soldier called as he entered, making Annalisa turn to him with a raised brow. "We received word of return from Sir Kiyatose! Castellan Cameron has arrived in a silenced state and hasn't woken up." The soldier concluded, making Annalisa grit her teeth.

Annalisa walked towards the soldier as he led her to a spare room in the castle. Upon waiting for a minutes, they had finally arrived with a carriage present. Cameron's body was lifted and carried to the room, letting Annalisa see his current state. 'Oh no!' Annalisa's bad thoughts had resurfaced as she saw Cameron's hair change in length and color. "What's his injuries? What can we do to help him as of now?" Pearlette asked as she looked towards the two who wore scared expression, making Pearlette's worried face shift into a serious one. "What did you two see?" Pearlette asked, making Annalisa turn from Cameron to the two who looked at each other with estranged eyes. "Let's start from scratch shall we? Soldiers, including you Kiyatose, shall leave this room at once." Pearlette stated as they all followed. "Kiyatose, keep guard outside." Annalisa said as the man nodded, closing the door behind him.

Annalisa walked towards the two as Pearlette stood beside her. "What exactly happened during your infiltration?" Annalisa asked as the two looked at them with worried eyes. "At first we had arrived at Helia the day after we left, we managed to also stake out until near evening where we found a passage into the palace." Wilhemina stated as the two listened. "We were all unfortunately separated. Sylvanna was seemingly trapped by Namiko, Mirui—" Annalisa stiffened upon hearing his name. "—not long, when I met Cameron again, he seemed to have escaped from a fight. After that, we had been captured for the past three days." Wilhemina said as she explained they're foiled plan. "In the second of those days, I had awoken after a dizzy spell. It seemed to naught on me that something was going wrong elsewhere." Sylvanna said as she made the two look towards her.

"Yesterday, we had encountered a dilemma with Arthur Liwoska, the Head of the Devil's Generals. He had informed us of something strange now that I thought about it." Sylvanna said as the three looked towards her. "After that encounter, we managed to escape utilizing Wilhemina's powers, but we were separated from Cameron, so when we finally found him. He was like that—" She pointed at his deranged body. "—a completely different man from who we met. He wasn't the fearful Castellan, but a scary beast that tore through flesh as if it were air." Sylvanna said, making Annalisa and Pearlette wide eyed. "You mean, she went off the normal limits of an Abyssal?" Pearlette asked in shock as Sylvanna nodded. Annalisa was silenced as she felt all the pieces lining up, she quickly turned to the man as she unbuttoned his shirt.

As the three looked at Annalisa confused, she opened the shirt to reveal shadowy marks littered over his body. Wilhemina was wide-eyed as she rushed over, seeing that the marks were slowly growing out of his heart. "Midnight." Wilhemina uttered, making them look at him with worry. "What is that, Wilhemina?" Sylvanna asked as Wilhemina turned to look at Annalisa. "You said he's been your acquaintance before... did you mean that you've seen her inside the Abyss as well?" Wilhemina asked, making Annalisa stare at Cameron, her mind completely silenced. "Annalisa!" Pearlette snapped at her, making her turn to them with a stoic face.

"N-no... I just met him. I-I just wanted t-to help." Annalisa uttered as she felt her mind go in a daze. "We need to return him back to the real world." Wilhemina said as Annalisa turned to her. "What exactly do you mean?" Sylvanna asked as they turn to Pearlette and Annalisa. "Midnight is a curse spell that works based on the cursed thoughts. Cameron must've been in her before and had a horrible experience, there for, he is acting under his own wish of 'correcting' his mistake from before. Be it costs of life, or his own." Wilhemina said as she looked at Annalisa. "I've been too careless, I hadn't noticed his injuries when I sent him to the other side. Heian must've been his trigger." Pearlette said as Annalisa looked down with guilt. "We must gather the scrolls. We need to send him back." Annalisa said as he felt her body acting strange.

"Can those scrolls really send him back?" Pearlette asked as Annalisa nodded. "Then... how much more of the scrolls do we need?" Sylvanna asked as she held out his bag, making Pearlette grab it and pull out the scrolls. "Of the five scrolls. We have two... or three if we conclude the one I had personally retrieved from Kiyatose." Pearlette said as they nod. "We need to find the other two. Quickly." Annalisa said as the three brimmed with determination.

"Till then, Cameron shall reside back at home into his room. We cannot allow him to leave or else it may complicate things." Sylvanna said as they nod at her recommendation. "I'll station some guards there, we shall head out tomorrow at dawn. We shall not discuss and question this matter." Wilhemina said as Annalisa gritted her teeth. "We've already included an innocent soul in this problem, now we must fix it before it goes under way." Pearlette said as she put a hand on Annalisa's shoulder, who looked back at her with worry...