The Sweet Taste of Chaos

Start from the beginning

"Data-" Tasha began to say.

"But I will be," Data said as he caught her hand. "I just need some time alone to... process."

Tasha nodded in understanding, but there was pain in her eyes.

"Can you please do something for me?" she asked.

Data cocked his head to the side.

"Will you check in with me in an hour?" Tasha inquired. "And if you still want to be alone after that, I understand. I just want you to check in, OK?"

She glanced around at the dark farmyard.

"It's lonely out here," she went on. "And you don't have to be alone."

Data kissed the inside of her wrist and then turned to bring Clopper round to the stable behind the house.

Tasha wrapped her arms around herself and took a deep breath as she watched him go.

----------

Once he was around the backside of the house, Data slowly walked Clopper to the stable. After detaching his tack. Data set to work grooming Clopper and offering their equestrian companion some affection.

In a way, it was soothing.

It gave Data a chance to avoid conversation while still not being alone. It wasn't that he wanted to avoid Tasha. But he knew that she'd be watching him – even if they sat in silence.

Clopper inhaled deeply and then took his time releasing it in a manner that was very similar to a human sigh as Data gently scratched his neck.

Horses were complex creatures and they fascinated Data – and not simply because of his exobiology background. Like humans, horses had both individualistic traits, group dynamics, and intricate social skills.

Reading horses could be just as difficult as reading people.

After he was finished brushing Clopper's mane and checking to ensure he was in good health, Data ensured that Clopper was fed. Oswalt had provided them with an interesting mix of hay, chaff, and cooked root vegetables.

It seemed this was Clopper's preferred favourite.

"Good lad," Data said.

He rested his head against Clopper's neck and pet him. There was something very reassuring about animal companionship. Data's thoughts wandered briefly as he considered the possibility of animal companionship on the Enterprise.

There were plenty of crew members with furry, scaley, and fishy family members.

An animal companion would be a huge responsibility. Data realised that any potential companion would need to be an animal capable of relative independence outside of a feeding schedule and certainly something used to periods of solitude.

Data's roles aboard the ship meant that there were times he would be gone from his quarters for ten, twelve, sometimes eighteen hours at a time.

A soft snort from Clopper brought Data out of his daydream. He checked the time, it had been approximately forty minutes.

Data fetched a sugar cube from his pocket and held it out for Clopper.

"Goodnight, Clopper," Data said before picking up the tack.

He ensured it was clean, hung it by the door, and then returned to the farmhouse.

----------

Once inside the door, Data's eyes adjusted to the dim glow of the oil lamp on the table. He glanced over to the sitting room to find it was dark. Stepping up to the ladder, he observed it was entirely dark upstairs in the bedroom too.