"Maybe we should give them some privacy." Tequila said with a knowing smirk. With that we all quietly left the room and made our way outside of the house.

            "That was amazing! I knew Ink was talented but damn that phoenix could be in an art museum somewhere." Cass exclaimed.

            The guys had made their way out of the clubhouse and were milling around the picnic tables in the common area out back. I felt someone touch my shoulder and was surprised when I turned around and saw Buster, "Could we talk?" He asked me. Without thinking I nodded my head and began following him.

            He lead me around to the side of the clubhouse. "Indi, I haven't been able to get you off my mind. Ever since the wedding it's like you've been under my skin."

            I frown a little at the mention of the wedding remember that girl he went off with. "You didn't seem to hard up over it with that blonde, but it's none of my business." What am I saying. I need to end this conversation before we get to a place I do not want to be.

            "You saw that?" He winced when I gave him a curt nod. "She was just a distraction, you'd made it clear you didn't want anything to do with me so I was trying to do my best to stay away from you."

            "I don't know what to say Buster. I'm not interested in starting anything with anyone and honestly I probably never will be." I'm beginning to think just being honest with him is my best shot here.

            He looked crestfallen at that, "Are you saying there is not shot at all?" He grabbed my hand and my skin warmed from his touch. "You have to feel the connection between us Indi? You're like a magnet that I can't see to pull away from. What are you scared of? Just give me a shot." He requested.

            I felt my resolved beginning to crack just a little, but I knew if he found out if he saw the scar he would never want me. "Buster, I do feel it, but there is so much you don't know. So much I can never tell you or anyone." I began shaking my head trying to clear it of these fantasies that are popping into it of the possibility of more.

            He stepped closer to me and put his hand on my cheek. Looking into my eyes he said, "Give me a shot Little Bird." Then with that he lowered his head and kissed me.

            It happened so quickly that at first, I was frozen and then my body became alive with hunger and my mind went blank. All my reasons for not suddenly just flew out of my head as my body took control.

            Suddenly the ringing of a phone cleared the fog I was in. I gasped and quickly pulled away. I grabbed my phone out of my back pocket and without looking at it I answered and turned away from Buster taking a few steps to distance myself.

            "Hello?" I said.

            "Indigo?" I heard my Aunt Rose, Ember's mom, say.

            "Yes, aunt Rose why are you calling?" I quired.

            "Well it would seem you are just like my daughter. How both me and my sister ended up with two ungrateful rebellious daughters is beyond me." She spoke with annoyance.

            I let out a huff and rolled my eyes. "Aunt Rose, if I wanted to hear this I would call my mom."

            "That's exactly why I'm calling. She's been calling you for months and you've ignored her. Not that you care, but she was diagnosed with cancer 6 months ago. They didn't give her long to live. She's been in the hospital the past week. They don't expect her to make it through the night." Aunt Rose explained in a tone that showed she was clearly annoyed. With that she hung up.

            My world started to spin. I shouldn't have ignored her. I should have known that her trying to contact me after all this time meant something. She made not have been very great, but she was still my mom.

            Suddenly I was spun around by strong hands. "Little Bird!" Buster called. I blinked up at him and realized I had started crying. "What's wrong? Who was that?"

            I shook my head and pulled away from him. "I have to go." I began running for my car. I hadn't unpacked yet, so all of my stuff was still in there.

            "Little Bird, wait! What's going on?" Buster had started running after me, but I was fast. I made it to my car and turned it over before peeling out of the parking lot leaving Buster in my review. It's for the best. They had left the gate open, so I was able to go on trough. I began making my journey back home, to a place I swore I would never return to.

Buster's POV

            It's only been a day since my Little Bird left as if the devil himself was chasing after her. I don't think it was the kiss. She responded. She wanted it. Something else happened with that phone call. Hawk and Flame tore into me again thinking I had scared her off. When I told them that Indi had freaked out after a phone call with someone named Rose Flame got confused. She couldn't figure out why her mom would have called Indi. Ember tried to call Indi to check on her, but she didn't pick up. I'm worried for my Little Bird and have hardly slept wondering what is going on with her. Something tells me something bad is coming our way from this.

            Now we were sitting in church talking about club business when suddenly Ember came bursting through the door looking white as a ghost. Hawk was across the room and to her side in the blink of an eye, "Little Flame what's wrong, is something wrong with Phoenix?" He asked putting his hand on her stomach. She shook her head no, "You better just come see, and Doc we need you too." She lead Hawk out of the door.

            When I made it out into the common room I saw a bruised and bloody Indi on one of the couches. I rushed to her side.

            Doc called out, "Take her to the exam room!" I scooped her up as gently as I could and rushed her to his medic room.  "Alright, send Cass in. The rest of you out while we check her over." Doc called.

            Cass rushed pass me into the room. Whoever did this to my Little Bird is going to pay. What they've done is going to look like child's play once we're done with them.

            After a couple of hours of waiting Doc came out of the room and explained to us, "Well she has a couple of broken ribs, broken wrist, needed stitches over her eyebrow and the bottom of her feet. The worst of it though was on her back where someone had whipped her. I had to put some stiches in there too. She passed out from the pain of it all when she arrived, the best I can tell. She seems to be waking up now though."

As soon as Doc said she was waking up I rushed into her room. She looked like a broken little bird in a nest of pillows and blankets. She always seemed like a scared and wounded bird to me before and now it shows on the outside as well. My heart squeezed at the sight of her. I walked to her bedside and sat at the chair next to it and picked up her hand in my and gently kissed each of her knuckles.

She slowly opened her eyes and peered over at me, "Buster?" she asked confused and in a croaky voice. Cass raised a glass of water to her lips with a straw for her to drink from. She started coughing after taking a drink.

"Take it easy Little Bird. You're safe now." I told her gently as I stroked her hair out of her face. I was surprised when she didn't pull away from me or ask me to stop.

"I'm sorry Indi I know you just woke up, but we've got to know what happened? How did you get this way?" Hawk asked.

Little Bird took a deep breath and looked around at Blade, Hawk, Gage, and me. "I'll tell you everything as long as Ember can be in the room to. She deserves to know. After you know it all you might not want me here anymore."