Our Final Resolve

Start from the beginning

               "Well...I have some news," Susato said.

               Kazuma's smiled vanished instantly. "You look anxious. What's going on? Is everything alright?"

               Susato nodded swiftly.

               "Well, wot is it? I'm dyin' to know, me!" Gina urged.

               Susato peered nervously at Kazuma and his curious expectation. She lowered her gaze to her feet and drew in a steadying breath. "I'm...marrying Lord van Zieks!" she said, steel encasing her voice. And she fixed them both with a stern stare.

               "'Ey!? Well that's great news, innit? You've 'ad them special feelings for 'im for a long time, 'aven't you? I saw them pictures you know. When I took your book before," Gina said.

               Susato nodded enthusiastically then shifted her resolute stare towards Kazuma.

               He looked at her with deep consideration, a slight furrow to his brow. He didn't look entirely pleased, but at least he didn't look angry either.

               "So...he finally asked?" Kazuma said.

               "Yes."

               "I can't say I approve, but...you have waited ten years for this. I'll stand by you, even if you really go through with it."

               Susato threw her arms around Kazuma. And was relieved when he hugged her back.

               "...Does this mean I need to force myself to forgive him?" Kazuma said.

               And Susato was so caught off guard, she laughed.

               "Seriously, Susato-chan...do I have to?"

***

When they told Albert Harebrayne, he stared at them for a long moment, blinking quickly.

               "AHH!"

               Susato startled.

               "I can't believe this! I embarrassed myself over and over about this very thing, this very thing! And now you two really are getting married!? I knew it! My hypothesis was correct!" Albert said, and his frantic energy dissolved beneath a triumphant, teeth-bearing grin.

               "I am heartened by your approval, Albert," Barok said.

               "Of course! It's nice to see two of the best people I know finding happiness together! You've...both been through a lot whilst I was away, haven't you?" Albert said.

               "Thank you, Professor Harebrayne. We are delighted to share this news with you," Susato said and bowed demurely. Then she laced her hands together and gave him a gentle smile. "So! What's Germany like? I want to hear all about it!"

               And Albert rambled away about his time in Germany and many other things while they travelled together, sightseeing and exploring various locations around the city. Iris and Sholmes joined them one day during his visit, and struck up a fierce debate about the veracity of his newest line of experimentation. They even ran into Maria Gorey, who was happy to discuss rather unsettling science-related matters with Albert.

               It was a magnificent visit that brightened the end of a frigid winter.

***

One day, shortly before the wedding, Susato went out with Iris and Gina. As her companions went on ahead to grab some chocolate to bring back for everyone, Susato peeled away to visit the flower shop. They were to meet with Barok soon, to visit Genshin and Gregson's graves, and then the van Zieks mausoleum. Iris had not yet been to the grave of her parents, and she was nervous but resolved to go. So Susato wanted to find the perfect flowers for each of them.