Barok frowned.

"At least the Reaper details will be fully explained. I wonder if people will actually stop calling you that," Kazuma said, hand on his chin as if in thought.

"Is he always this antagonistic with you?" Susato said, glaring at the desk.

She watched as Barok rewrote his notes with care and precision. His writing was so nice to look at, but the words themselves were so dreadful. Kazuma was right. Her corrections helped with clarity and maybe took out a bit of the sting, but there was no gentle way to say any of this. The truth was not soft and required unflinching honesty.

"I see nothing particularly antagonistic about what he just said. He has merely stated the truth," Barok said. "I also see no need to speak as though he is not in the room, hearing every word."

Susato blushed, ashamed by the rebuke.

Barok stood. "It is ready now. Will you accompany me, Miss Susato?"

"It's...time to see Iris, then?" she said.

"Yes. We must do that first," he said.

"I'll work on building pieces for the crime scene then," Kazuma said, nodding towards the table at the centre of the room.

"I appreciate that. I do not anticipate I will return to the office until tomorrow," Barok said.

"I have a feeling you might not be around much tomorrow either. The news will cause quite a stir, after all," Kazuma said. "But it shouldn't be an issue. The trial is several days away. I can handle the preparations."

Barok nodded to him then made his way towards the door. Susato hurried to his side, matching stride with him.

"...Goodbye, Susato-chan," Kazuma called.

She glanced quickly towards him and gave him a sparse nod before following Barok out of the office.

Barok peered at her from the corner of his eye, and she knew that he disapproved of how she was acting towards Kazuma. She knew it pained Barok on a level that made her feel nearly cruel, considering his own losses. But she just wasn't ready.

And, as they settled into Barok's carriage, Susato began to wonder if Iris was ready. Only a short while ago, Iris said that it no longer mattered to her who her birth father was, because she loved Sholmes so greatly. She called him 'daddy' all the time now, to which the man often grew so overwhelmed with joy that tears leapt to his eyes. And Iris was happier than ever now to be his daughter officially.

This news...would it hurt her? Susato feared it would. But there was no turning back now. She had made a promise to be there when Iris learned the truth about her mother. Susato had to stand by her word. The truth could not stay hidden forever.

***

"Oh, hello, Susie!" Iris greeted. And then she gasped. "Mr. Reaper!?" Her eyes glittered with undeniable excitement. "What a surprise! You finally came to visit like you said you would!" She beamed and clasped her hands together.

Barok was startled by the gesture, but worked quickly to compose himself. "Yes. Pray forgive the discourtesy if taking so long to hold to my word offends," he said and bowed.

Iris giggled. "Oh no! It's quite alright. I am glad you're here now! Although, I wish I had known you were coming, so I could have prepared a very special blend just for you. Oh, I know! Susie?"