Iris nodded, her eyes glittering with unshed tears.

"But most of all! He was so good to you, Gina. For the way he treated you...of course I forgive him. Thanks to him, our dear friend Gina Lestrade is going to be the greatest Inspector in all of London!" Susato said.

"Oh yes! That's so true!" Iris said. "Ginny is going to be the greatest detective ever! And she will never have to dive again!"

"'Ey, I like divin'!" Gina said, face bright, even as tears trailed down her cheeks.

The three laughed.

"We really are so proud of you, Gina," Susato said gently. "And...we'll have the best fish and chips in town all together. As often as we can. In his honour."

"Yeah. I...I would...I'd really like that, me. Th—Thank you," Gina said, and she broke down crying. "Sorry...s-sorry. I'm fine, me, r-really."

"...I have another batch of scones ready to fetch from the kitchen. Susie, can you come add the jam and cream?" Iris said.

"Of course," Susato said, standing.

They gave Gina a minute to mourn. When they returned, she was silently smiling to herself while petting her puppy, Toby, who was happily sitting in her lap, licking the crumbs off her plate.

"We'll never forget 'im. Will we, Toby? 'E rescued us from the streets, 'e did," Gina said softly, sniffling.

Susato smiled. I promise I won't either, she thought to herself. I never could.

***

Apprehension twisted painfully through Susato. She knew it was irrational, but she could not stop herself from trembling as she rode in the carriage towards Hyde Park. It worsened as she wandered down the snow-laden pathway, waiting for him, her breath misting in front of her face. She stared down at the prints that revealed her journey and then lifted her head, pushing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

Her heart quickened.

There he was. Barok van Zieks, dressed in a fine winter coat and top hat. They hastened towards each other. He bowed and she returned his gesture, then took his offered arm.

For several minutes, they walked in silence, the afternoon placid around them. The only sounds were that of their white breath, their boots crunching over the ice, and the wind that swept by in fitful gusts every now and then.

"Thank you. For the other day," Barok said. "I fear I have much to apologise for."

"As do I," Susato said.

"...There is nothing for which you need apologise. You are already forgiven. I thought I had made that clear."

"I suppose I am still struggling to forgive myself. But you should know...I have forgiven you too."

"Don't say that so easily," Barok said, coming to a sudden stop.

She tilted her head back to look up at him. He was so troubled, his eyes so haunted.

"But it's the truth," she said, whisper-soft.

"...Miss Susato. I have done a great deal to inflict injury upon you. I do not just mean my past crime...but how I have thought of you. How coldly and cruelly I have treated you. I swear to you that I will spend every day making it up to you. Although, I know nothing can ever serve as proper recompense for all I have done."