"Now you are free to decide what you want to do, Susato. Truly free," Yujin said.

"Really, Father?"

"Yes. I won't say anything to influence your decision. You have to choose your own path. Something I've interfered with for long enough. Stay in London, or return with us to Japan. Whatever you decide...you have my full support," Yujin said.

"Father..." Susato trembled out.

They smiled warmly at each other.

"I....I don't know. I thought the answer would be so clear. I told myself from the outset that I would remain in London as soon as I returned," Susato said, her gaze sliding towards the floor. "But...you've done so much for me too, Mr. Naruhodo. I don't want to abandon you."

"No, Miss Susato! Really it's...it's...I shouldn't have said anything," Ryunosuke said and sighed. "So many times you said you were a failure or that you felt you couldn't do much to help. I guess I just wanted to let you know...that you really are the best judicial assistant in the world. And...it's going to be hard to stand on my own. But I'll always have everything you taught me with me, guiding me...I suppose I could always telegram you if I need help too."

"...You're saying this like this is goodbye," Susato said.

"Oh, no! Not for some time yet. The boat isn't leaving tomorrow, surely?"

"We'll be leaving soon, but no, we will not be putting out to sea tomorrow," Yujin said. "You have...a couple of days to decide."

"When I left the first time, it was just after Klint had died. And Lady Baskerville too. He was entirely alone, with this deep and horrible grief," Susato said.

"Lord Barok van Zieks, you mean?" Ryunosuke said.

Susato nodded. "I have never stopped regretting the fact that I had to leave him. And now, with this unbearable truth...he must be grieving all over again. Just as I am. No, I don't think he ever stopped. That shadow on his face, and the coldness in his eyes...that mire he sank into...it's like...he's been trapped in that moment of grief for these past ten years. And no one was there to help pull him out. No one would go down into the mire with him to pull him free."

"...Until now, you mean," Ryunosuke said. He smiled at her softly.

"I don't know if I have the strength. My heart has broken and broken again," Susato confessed. "And I...I don't know if he wants my help. Not after he found about the truth I've been hiding."

"About Iris," Ryunosuke said.

"Yes," Susato said.

"Now you have to face a harsh reality, too. I don't just mean that Klint was the Reaper," Yujin said. "Or...that I lied to you, and my role in this dreadful tragedy."

"Father...knowing the truth about that, has helped me forgive you," Susato said.

"I'm so glad for that, truly. But what I meant was...you learned something about Lord van Zieks, didn't you? That his hand was the one that sent Genshin to the gallows. That's not something so easily forgiven," Yujin said. "Especially now that you know our dear friend was entirely innocent."

"Kazuma did say he couldn't forgive Lord van Zieks...That's not how you feel too. Is it, Miss Susato?" Ryunosuke said.

"Kazuma-sama doesn't have the same history that I do. I know he probably thinks I'm betraying Genshin-sama but...I just...I can't blame Lord van Zieks for this. I never even suspected Klint once. Well...there was a moment that unsettled me, but I thought it was just my imagination. I never even allowed myself to consider that he could have any hand in those gruesome murders. I found excuses for his behaviour...and I thoroughly believed them. And...I believed Lord van Zieks when he told us the Professor was Genshin-sama," Susato said, her guilt strong and vast and smothering.