Chapter 24: Friendsmas

Wednesday, December 22 – Charlotte, North Carolina

With everybody back in town for the day, it seemed to be the only time they'd get to do it if they truly wanted. It was why the call had been made for all the drivers that wanted to gather together for a fun night of laughs to meet up.

Although Kyle Busch wasn't everybody's favorite person, they wound up at his place simply due to the property, the view over the water, and the fact the current renovations at his house allotted for some room. The rest of the guest list simply included an agreed group of drivers that wouldn't kill each other – Chase Elliott, Kyle Larson, Alex Bowman, William Byron, Ryan Blaney, Bubba Wallace, Tyler Reddick, Chase Briscoe, Corey LaJoie, Christopher Bell, Kurt Busch, and a couple others. There had been suggestions in inviting others, like Denny Hamlin, but that was quickly outvoted by the majority.

It had taken Chase a bit to convince his parents it'd be fun to skip town and spend a night with friends, but he promised to be careful. Besides, he would be surrounded by a group of people that cared about him.

"I still want to kick Joey's ass for not believing you were innocent," Ryan comments as Chase simply nods his head back in response.

"It was a convincing attempt to frame you, but pretty sure we saw through it," Corey LaJoie adds, catching a couple cautious glances.

"Pretty sure?" Chase questions, slightly caught off-guard by the shadow of a doubt.

He expected some fans to have doubt. Let's face it – they didn't know what he was like away from the track, and they had other reasons to despise him for whatever reason. He could also see Denny and Kevin picking it apart for their own selfish reasons. However, beyond that, it seemed he was surprised it was even a thought.

Other than the light conversation in that regard, it had been the perfect medicine as it gave Chase a night to not think about anything that had occurred. He got lost in the fun with friends, enjoying the jokes and conversation as they caught each other up on their doings the past month. It was fun to get to have this time to chat without the pressure of the schedule and such on their backs.

As the night fell to a close, people began to go home, finding their own ways and routes as they did. With drinks consumed, Chase and Ryan were set to get a ride back to Ryan's place and sleep it off before Chase headed home in the morning.

Chase goes to check and see if their ride share had arrived, though found himself staring at the black SUV with his blood turned cold.

"Chase Elliott..." Joe Murphy says as he makes his way around the back of the SUV, headed over to where the young man was standing. "I thought for sure there'd be someone else to fight off."

"How did you find me?" Chase questions, though could already figure what the answer was in knowing that the guy was probably stalking him.

"I think there's other things that we need to deal with..." Joe walks over, the pair meeting eyes together as Chase tries to keep calm as possible, resisting every urge to break into concern, nerves, or anger. "You deserve to pay for what you did."

"I did nothing wrong, but you deserve to pay for the hell that you put her through." The resistance remained no longer as Chase swung his arm, instantly connecting his hand with the man's cheek as he gave him a swift punch. It caused Joe to lose a little step, almost falling but able to keep his balance as he laughed.

"So now you think you're a tough guy, huh?" Chase then goes to take another swipe, though misses as Joe ducks. At the same time, Joe reaches into his pocket, pulling out a knife, and stabbing it in Chase's shoulder. "You were going to pay no matter what."