Chapter 5: Post-Media Blitz

Monday, November 8 – Dawsonville, Georgia

Chase hears a knock on the door, letting out a sigh.

Considering how he felt right now, there was no way that he wanted to face or see anybody. It was why he called out on attending the meeting at Hendrick this morning, to which Rick easily accepted given the circumstances. It is why he had let Fletcher out that morning, but hadn't done anything else since then.

Given everything, why was someone coming to see him?

Though hearing another ring of the doobell, followed by a bark from Fletcher, he knew they weren't planning on leaving anytime soon. He didn't want to open the door, in fear of some media person showing up at his door for answers. He also didn't want to cross paths with anyone who was set to offer an opinion on what they thought, good or bad.

Pulling up the front door camera feed on his phone, he took a deep breath. He could handle this person being at his house this morning. He could handle the comments that would certainly follow, ultimate support – maybe it would make him feel better. There was only like five people he would open the door for right now, and this was one of those people.

"Hey," he says as he opens the door for his father, before walking away from the door. He knew his father would easily follow him inside, closing the door behind him. It was the same way that Chase always entered when he went to his parent's house, sometimes not even ringing the doorbell.

"Hello," Bill says quietly as he follows his son into the kitchen, sitting down on one of the bar stools at the counter. His eyes next left the young man before him, except to glance at the tablet that laid on the counter. "Reading the articles isn't going to help, Chase."

"Don't I have a right to see what everyone is saying? At least I should know the story that's being spread, and what people thin-"

"It doesn't matter. The truth that is going to come out is all that matters." Chase lets out a sigh as he takes a sip of the bottle of water he had just gotten from the fridge, setting another before his father. He couldn't argue with what he was saying, knowing that was the right approach. It was normally his approach when it came to anything racing-based, focusing on his team and their goals alone. However, he couldn't help but be curious with everything swirling around.

"And what if it doesn't?" Bill shakes his head, knowing there was no way he was allowing this to happen on his watch. He knew his son didn't have that in him, and wasn't about to let him take the fall for someone else.

"Give it time. They're going to find more evidence that points towards the right source – whether that's her boyfriend, or someone else. A second look over the house, analyzing the fibers on her clothes, how she was killed, and everything – perhaps neighbors watching. It happens all the tim-"

"And people also get charged and convicted for crimes they did not commi-"

"Chase!" Chase freezes in hearing his father's raised voice in response, knowing catching his father off of his game and frustrated did not happen very often. If there was a chance of that, there better be a good damn reason. "Stop letting everything get in your head, okay? I know it's easy given the situation to think the worst, but that's going to make it worse. You need to think positively, believe you can fight through this, think of anything that may help your case or get them closer to the right reason. By swallowing in the game of self-pity, you're not accomplishing anything."

"Yes sir." Chase knew there was no point arguing back with him, as that never got him anywhere when he was younger, except for grounded. Besides, his father was right in his advice, too.

"I know it hurts to watch your name get raked through all this over unfounded, unrealistic accusations against you as we both know that'd never happen. I know it hurts to see people question whether you could be that guy, or some assume that you did it – but we know they're just Denny Hamlin fans, right?" Chase had to chuckle at that, following Denny's comment the other week. "But those who know you, those who know your character, those who know what you're capable of and your heart, compassion, genuine sweetness, they know that you could never, ever do something like this. That's why they're going to stand behind you no matter what is said, and be there to have your back. Think of it this way. You get to find out who your true friends and fans are right now."