Chapter 10: Discussion & Rumors

Wednesday, November 17 – Charlotte Motor Speedway

Alex walks into the garage, coffee in hand as he hated being up early no matter the reason, finding his way over to where Kyle was standing.

"William isn't here yet?" Alex asks, surprised as normally William was one of the first to arrive for their weekly meetings. It was odd to see him be the late teammate of the day.

"Nope," Kyle answers as he had already checked in with everybody to see if they'd seen his teammate. That was fine by him, though, as he was glad to take the morning shift knowing he had to pack that night for California. "Chase isn't coming, either."

"I'm not totally surprised, to be honest. I thought he would've bailed on you for this weekend – or has he already?" Kyle shakes his head no, though wouldn't be surprised if that was the next text message he received. He had checked in with him already earlier in the week, double checking he was still coming and checking on the excitement. The message he got in response had been assuring.

"He's still fully committed, and ready to have some fun. To be honest, it may be a good distraction while they work everything else out." Alex wasn't about to argue in that regard, remembering just how tore up their teammate had appeared at the shop that day. "Rick, Jeff, and Chad made the joint decision for him to miss the test. They felt that it'd be best considering the rumors and discussions being spread around by everybody since the release of the article. You don't need fellow drivers and teams saying shit to rub salt there, or media trying to snag a quote. It also doesn't help that nothing has been said to clear his name or anything since."

"That honestly has shocked me more than anything. I mean, I get his name coming up in their discussions since he had been making trips out there and was at her house the day it happened. I just thought they would've wiped him off as a suspect, and actually found the true killer by now." Kyle nods his head in agreement, as he was still caught off-guard by the whole ordeal together.

"I don't care how long the investigation takes, though. I don't believe he did it. To be honest, I could never see him doing anything to hurt anybody." Alex wasn't about to argue from how well he had gotten to know Chase, either.

"I just can't get over how determined her father was when he came over, accused Chase and went after him. I'm not trying to stir shit here, but you don't go yelling at someone over nothi-"

"Grief makes you do strange things sometimes, things that you wish you could take back a million times over when you properly have time to digest everything. Considering she had a boyfriend, nobody knew what was going on, and Chase is perceived as the side-guy, chea-"

"Do you think he would go that far with her?" Kyle shakes his head no, as that again never seemed like something that would be in his character to ever do. "Love can also make you do strange things sometim-"

"He's a true southern gentleman. Bill and Cindy Elliott raised that boy with the utmost respect, morals, and everything. Think about it, Alex." Alex had to chuckle a little as he allowed that picture to form in his mind. "I just think the father not knowing the whole story caused him to go over a ledge that maybe he shouldn't have done. Though once he understands what his daughter was going through, and how Chase was being the helpful one, there may be a serious conversation and apology to be said."

"Knowing Chase, he'd fully accept that apology and understand it comes from his side of pain as Rick described. That's why Chase didn't want to press charges." Kyle smiles as it seemed to all make sense to the teammates. "Just be there for him this weekend, Kyle. I know you're saying this may be the perfect escape and distraction, but it also may crack a barri-"