Chapter 18: Take It Out On Me

Sunday, December 5 – Florida

What'd he do this time?

Did he break your heart?

I can tell you been crying... and baby here you are.

And I always know any time you show up at my door past 11 o'clock

That he really must've pissed you off.

Take it out on me.

Put your lips on mine.

Let me take his wrong and make it right this time.

Yeah, you can just come over, you ain't gotta call.

You always got a shoulder anytime it all goes bad,

When you're 'bout to break,

When you're mad as hell,

You can always take it out on me

You can take it out on me baby.

If you ever wanna leave, baby.

In the middle of the night, that's alright...

You can take, take.

Take off your coat, baby come on in.

Girl, let me help to get back at him.

And I don't know why you never say goodbye...

Whatever hell he's putting you through,

I can't wait for you to take it out on me.

Put your lips on mine.

Let me take his wrong and make it right this time.

Yeah, you can just come over, you ain't gotta call.

You always got a shoulder anytime it all goes bad, when you're 'bout to break, when you're mad as hell, you can always take it out on me.

Yeah, I'll lay you down and love you just the way you should be.

Baby, so now that you're ready.

Take it out on me.

You can take it out on me baby.

If you ever wanna leave, baby.

In the middle of the night, that's alright...

You can take, take, take it out on me.

Put your lips on mine.

Let me take his wrong and make it right this time.

Yeah, you can just come over, you ain't gotta call.

You always got a shoulder anytime it all goes bad, when you're 'bout to break, when you're mad as hell, you can always take it out on me.

You can take it out on me baby.

If you ever wanna leave, baby.

In the middle of the night, that's alright...

You can take, take, take it out on me.

Chase takes a deep breath as he lays his head back against the seat, closing his eyes.

It was always one of those songs that got to him, no matter when it came on in his playlist. He hadn't been a big Florida Georgia Line fan, but that song connected perfectly and was added immediately. It was one that he remembered referencing on a regular basis, knowing it fit perfectly.

It was why he had sent it to Annabelle as soon as he came across it, with the message that he'd always be that person for her. She could call him any day of the week, any time and he would ensure that he was there for her.

He kept praying and hoping she'd call him, ready to tell the truth, or simply make an escape with him. Instead, that day never came and here he was.

"You can't blame yourself," he tells himself quietly as he tries to get it out of his mind, knowing he had a big day ahead of him. He had made an impression yesterday and showed he knew something about what he was doing. He just needed to carry that through to today.

"Are you still kicking yourself in the ass for yesterday?" He hears and chuckles a little as he looks over at where Travis Pastrana was standing.

Nobody knew what to expect when they asked him to come do Nitro Rallycross. Admittedly, he had struggled majorly at first, though started to get the hang of it at the end of the first day. Going into the first bracket, he was ready to try as hard as he could, but wasn't having any expectations. If he got through a round, that'd be a miracle.

He had done better than everybody thought, keeping pace with Tanner Foust through the whole course. He was able to carry enough through to be right on his back bumper, and completely sent it going into the final corner. The pair made contact – significant contact as Chase ran straight into his door, pushing off the track. This would allow him to cross the finish line first, only to be handed a time penalty by officials to take it away.

"I still call fair game on what you did by the way," Travis comments, having felt the officials had gone over the line with their decisions. In his mind, Tanner had been equally at fault for his angle, contributing to it being harder than intended. It was why he was ready to applaud the young man before him as much as he could.

"I still don't have any regrets," Chase replies back with a smile of his own, knowing that he'd probably do the same thing over if given the same opportunity. The only thing different? He'd tidy up the entry to have more rotation, as he envisioned having in his mind. "I don't make the move and I'm eliminated anyway. I got to try, right?"

"You just got to send it boy!" Chase laughs, knowing that was pretty much the manta for Travis Pastrana no matter what he did. It was why the Nitro Circus was already entertaining anytime he attended. It was also why you would never find him taking part in it. "I just want to make sure you're cool because I overheard you sayi-"

"Don't worry, I'm fine. I've just got some stuff on my mind." Taking a deep breath, he knew thinking about it here would be counterproductive. It'd just get him in the same rut that he'd been finding the past couple of weeks. He also didn't feel like sharing everything with someone else right now, either. It was why he welcomed these experiences, and knew he was going to fully embrace everything that was on the table for today. "Are you ready, man?"

"Probably more than anybody else you've ever had jump out of a plane. I do this kind of shit in my sleep." Chase laughs, knowing that was more than likely true with everything that he'd seen Travis do. "I should get you to jump out with me."

"I think it'd be concerning if the pilot jumped out of the plane, too." Travis went to say something in response, though froze in thought as he simply nodded his head instead. "At least be glad that I am able to do this for you today and not having my ass handed to me by Tanner (Foust)."

"He handled that a lot better than I thought, but it probably helped that the stewards saw it his way." Chase knew Travis was probably right, however still felt confident from what he knew of Tanner through previous conversations it would've been the same either way. "Let's just hope that you do not do anything wrong to make them mad today."

"That's the plan, man!"