She watched Damien and Tyronne walk to their usual bench. They were surrounded by a large, intimidating group that consisted mostly of jocks, cheerleaders and some guys from the basketball team. Tyronne cracked a joke and everyone burst out laughing, catching everyones attention. 

Lola's fingers were wrought with tension as she looked around for Julian, wondering where he was. She noticed a few cheerleaders were missing, Natalie and Eva included and a small part of her wondered if Julian was spending his lunch with Natalie instead. 

She tried not to think too hard about it but the passing minutes only made her more paranoid. Now that last night was over, she wondered if Julian would ignore her again. She was too busy being happy this morning but now that thought disturbed her immensely. 

"Damn it. You got the ham sandwich. Those were finished when we got here," Nalini grumbled as she took a seat across from Lola. 

"You can have some of my chicken dumplings." Hanna offered but Nalini refused. 

"That's barely enough for one person. It's fine I'll suffer with this dead looking salad."

"Nobody ever wants the salad." All three girls concluded. 

"You can have mine," Damien sat down next to Nalini and passed her his sandwich. 

Everyone gaped at him, having not expected his presence.

"What are you doing here?" Nalini asked and Lola noticed her tone had taken a softer note as she took Damien's sandwich. She didn't realise how comfortable the two had become with each other. 

"Girls, it's been too long. I've missed you all." Damien raised his drink in salute before drinking some, making both Hanna and Lola laugh. 

"It hasn't been long enough. You were harassing me in history class yesterday with the stupidest questions," Nalini berated and hit him on the arm playfully. 

Lola noticed that Nalini wasn't shy around Damien anymore, in fact she didn't even look like she liked him that way. The two of them just seemed like good friends. Nalini hardly spoke about her long time crush anymore either. 

Lola wondered if it was now a thing of the past. 

Just then, she heard a few gasps echo from around them and looked up to see Julian walking through the yard. It looked like he was headed their way. 

Her heart started thumping furiously in her chest and sure enough Julian stopped at their table, despite Tyronne calling him to his, despite the numerous eyes that were fixed on him right now. Practically everyone in the courtyard was staring at him and now Julian's words made more sense than ever. 

He had become the most high profile student ever since his name was cleared. That was evident with the way everyone was staring at him. So it didn't help her nerves when he stood by the foot of their small lunch table and stared at her. 

"Hey Damien. New friends?" He was talking to Damien, his voice loud enough to carry to the few tables nearby but his gaze was fixed solely on her.

"Yeah, cool bunch. You should join us for lunch," Damien replied not so casually. It looked like he had rehearsed that line many times. 

"You girls don't mind?" Julian asked innocently. He was much better at acting that Damien was. 

"Of course not," Hanna said chirpily as she cast a smile at Lola. 

"If I said no, would you turn around and walk away?" Nalini asked teasingly. 

"Not enough time to find a new place. The bells about to ring," Julian lied and then he sat down next to Lola.  

She noticed his knee brush against hers but whether that was intentional or accidental, she made no effort to move away. 

"You should join the drama club. I see a bright future for you there," Nalini said after she took a bite of her sandwich. 

"Would you like to be my first fan?" Julian countered, making her cough. 

"I think that roles already taken," Hanna joked, eyeing Lola. 

Her friends giggled, making Lola want to kill them later when she got them a lot but the two guys shared a look as well. Julian put his hand on the table, right next to hers. When no one was looking, he stroked her palm, making her smile again. 

"How was class today? Did you miss me?" He teased in a soft voice, whilst their friends chatted among st themselves. 

"I would be lying if I said I didn't think about you at least once," Lola replied meekly. "What about you?" 

"I've been thinking about last night the whole day," He murmured as his finger stroked her wrist subtly. The gesture was so small and inconspicuous but inside her stomach was exploding with fireworks. 

This was perfect. Them having lunch together, no hiding, no miscommunication. This was the first time they were all together outside in the open and Lola didn't realise how good this felt. The only person missing was Edward.

"Where's Edward?" She asked, mostly to Hanna because he only ever texted her. 

Hanna's cheeks turned scarlet and she fiddled with her phone. "He's in the computer lab, working on some new software. Said he will join us if he finishes on time." 

"That kid's a genius," Damien praised even though we were all the same age. "So Hanna, have you guys started dating yet? Give the guy a chance man." 

"If you must know. We've been on a few ice cream dates," Hanna said and then she looked away shyly while the guys hooted. 

Just then a shadow loomed over the table and Lola looked up to Eva and Natalie. Eva was looking at Nalini, while Natalie stared at Julian and then Lola. 

"I texted you. Do you even know how to work a phone?" Eva shot Nalini a look, her gaze settling briefly on Damien before flitting back to her. 

Nalini took out her phone and unlocked the screen. Her face lighted up in realisation. "We're supposed to meet after lunch. I knew that already." 

"I was just confirming," Eva snapped and then she looked around the table. "Nice group you have here. Didn't know you guys knew each other?" 

She gestured between Julian and the girls but his reply was swift. 

"Just only met them today."

She smiled at him politely but it was obvious she didn't believe a word he said. She looked like she was about to roll her eyes at any moment. 

"Anyway, see you later. Don't be late." She turned on her heel and walked away. Natalie said bye to Julian and then rushed after her. 

"Ughhh, why do I have to be partnered with her." Nalini ran a hand through her hair, looking frustrated. 

Julian leaned in and whispered. "Maybe you can do some digging about Tyler and Fiona. Remember that picture?"

Nalini stared at him and then at her friends. She looked skeptical but she nodded anyway. "Okay guys. Wish me luck."

Hey guys, its the end of the year and I want to wish everyone a belated Merry Christmas and a very happy new year to you guys. Thanks for reading this story. I really appreciate it :) :)