Chapter 6: The Fever

Start from the beginning

The air was knocked out of my chest, as I slammed hard onto something. The hell, I thought until I saw what was going on and who was behind this. "Thank God you are alright." He hugged the life out of me- but his arms dropped after he calmed down from his panic. "You are alright! So why are you not in the office?"

"Because of my daughter."

He was dressed in a long black coat, and beneath was a black suit which clearly was screaming Armani. "W- what's wrong with Adeline?" I invited Liam to come inside because it was cold outside.

I closed the door behind him, "She's running a fever, and she's asleep right now." I told the gorgeous Greek American lookalike standing before me.

It seemed that he was hesitating on something, but he said: "May I go and see her?" To be glad was an understatement- hell, I was utterly shocked.

My mouth dropped opened. My boss, Liam Douglas, owner of one of the biggest company in New York- that's what Cameron Lawrence told me- is asking to see my precious daughter. He cleared his throat politely begging for my attention.

His mesmerising eyes where staring back at me when I looked back at his expectant face. "I- Okay, but you might want to reconsider." I told him squared in the face.

Those eyes lingered on me, but his confused expression. However I was not joking for him to reconsider. He looked completely lost, so I opened my mouth to explain, and he suddenly was smirking. "Ah, there's no need sweetheart. I have a strong immune system."

I blushed extremely, but nodded looking away. I led him to the only bedroom in the small house. On the way Liam took off his fashionable coat and suit jacket and placed it on the sofa in the open plan living room kitchen. We neared the door, I pushed the already open door and gesture him in.

Liam walking in and took a look around and then back to me. "You have nice taste." I didn't believe his words one bit. "No, seriously even my personal interior decorator, can't pull of a comfortable look. You should see it sometime." He winked.

And then he went to sit on the small double bed, where Ade was resting. I was pretty surprised after all this booming noise she's still asleep. I was leaning at the door watching his every move closely, when he asked: "Are you sure it's just a fever, I mean she's lucking color and all?" He turned to me uncertain. "We should probably take her to see a doctor."

I shook my head, "It's just a fever." I concluded convincing myself. "She'll be on her feet in no time." I did want to take her to the doctors, but I'd not be able pay for the bills until I got my salary cheque, which is embarrassing if you asked me.

A little while later, we moved into the living area. I sat crossed legged on the sofa across from Liam. "Shouldn't you be back at work by now?"

He raised a eyebrow, "Is this the way you are kicking me out?" There was a glimpse of spark in his eye but they vanished the moment they came.

My eye widen at him, "Yes- No! I mean, I was just curious- if you could get fired-" I mentally slapped my head. "You obviously own the place, so no. I'm just wondering it you have anything better to do... I'll shut up now." My cheeks puffed up at my humiliating ramble.

He chuckle slighted assumed and I don't know to be offended or not. "Besides from, signing papers... I don't have anything better to do, other than talking to the beautiful girl in front of me." He put is left arm on the top of the sofa. "If you don't mind me asking; what a sweetheart like you doing living with her daughter outside the city isolated? Don't you feel unsafe or in danger."

Why does he always have to use big words. "That's a simple question but very hard to answer." I spoke very slowly.

"Just a few words would do."

I nodded, thinking over my words. "Fine, but this has nothing to do with you." He raised a brow challengingly.

"I'm very concerned about my employees, and just a little more concerned about you." After asking for a reason to be worried, he shrugged. "Because your just a child- young adult." I was mad at him and his words.

"I'm not a child, I'm a grown woman. I've been through much worse, sir, but I still survived. And I don't think living in a place I can afford is a crime." I spat out at him harshly, but he wasn't even looking at me anymore, which got me angrier. I followed his intense glaze that was at the doorway. There stood the cutes angle I've ever seen in my life, with messy bed hair and her thin PJs.

She looked so innocent and fragile, that I'd want to keep her like that forever. Her eyes caught me staring at her, and she slowly made her way to my now open arms, with of course Mr Bunny. "How's my angle?" I pulled her onto my lap hugging and kissing her all over.

Adeline's giggles were audible through the room, that I almost forgot Liam was here. "Look who came to visit you." I pointed to him across of me, he looked as if something struck him. "Why don't you go and give him a big hug?" She nodded at me and was on her feet.

It was hard to his so relaxed, "Hey kiddo, I head that you have fever." Sh nodded settling on his lap. "Well you must get better soon, so that I can take you out for Double Messy Chocolate Ice cream Dessert with Randow Sprinkles." The hunger in my child's eyes where undeniable. It kind of got me hungry. But I didn't miss the look he send me- mocking me perhaps.

Liam stayed the whole afternoon till evening an we ordered Chinese- which he insisted to pay for. After we ate the ordered takeaway, he even played with Adeline until she felt asleep. I notice two things; one, Adeline refused to move an inch from Liam- like they were attached and two, Adeline got some color under her skin. Liam personal wanted to put her to bed and I was nice enough to let him- but I trailed along for safety reasons.

We chatted for a while until I was getting tire and Liam Douglas made his mind that it was time for him to go as well. I walked him to the door, "Thank you for coming." I announced grateful by his kind gesture. He put his coat on, and hit was quite difficult to see his face in the dim light.

"Thank you for having me, with no attempts of kicking me out even though I swept your daughter of her feet." He joked which I found unfunny. He stepped out the house and turned back to me, it's a shame he caught me off guard and kissed me. "Goodnight Sandra." I wanted to reply but he left me speechless, walking to his car.

He kissed me- on the cheek.