xxvi. up in smoke

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX:UP IN SMOKE

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX:
UP IN SMOKE

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

HIGH ABOVE NEW ROME, a dark-haired girl stood on the precipice of a cliff-face, staring at the valley that laid ahead. In that valley, rows upon rows of villas laid gleaming in the sunshine, dotted with statues of Roman Gods and Goddesses in togas, laurel wreaths, their cold eyes sharp like the deities themselves as they observed the bustle of Roman life. With two others at her back speaking in a soft murmur, Annais Min remained quiet, tentatively listening to the conversation all the while committing her surroundings to memory.

What would be the quickest way to get back to the Argo II?

Would Reyna be a problem?

And if it came to it, was Annais prepared to slaughter an entire community of innocents just to save herself? Was she even worth the trouble?

What would Jason think of her then?

“Are you listening, Annais?” Reyna asked suddenly, eagle eyes staring daggers into the girl’s back, waiting. 

Slowly, Annais turned, swallowing back the thoughts of blood staining those winding cobblestone streets. With the way Reyna stared at her, Annais had to wonder if she could read minds. “Sorry. What did you say?”

Reyna merely pursed her lips before replying, “I was telling Annabeth about our architects. How many demigods stay on to live here after their time in the legion. They go to our university. They settle down to raise families. Percy seemed interested in this fact.” At that last bit, Annabeth’s face soured. “Jason too.” Then Annais, prompting Reyna to let out a laugh. “You’re both warriors, alright. You’ve got fire in your eyes.”

“Sorry,” Annabeth muttered in shame, though Annais refused to apologise. There was nothing wrong with a little fire.

For once, Reyna seemed to agree with her. “Don’t be. I’m the daughter of Bellona.”

Bellona. That name sounded so familiar to her. 

Annais searched through her memories to the day Jason taught her of the lesser known Roman Gods and Goddesses. They were out in the strawberry fields, sitting beneath the shade of an oak tree as the sun shone down through the twisting branches. For weeks on end, Leo had worked them silly trying to get the Argo II finished on time. Annais didn’t feel like she was doing much, seeing as he always re-did whatever task she was given, but she showed up anyways until the boy eventually got too frustrated with everyone and gave anybody who wasn’t a child of Hephaestus the day off.