iii. friend or foe

CHAPTER THREE:FRIEND OR FOE

CHAPTER THREE:
FRIEND OR FOE

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE LAST PERSON ANNAIS expected to see descending from the heavens like some illusive god was Ezra Min. Ezra fucking Min, her cousin slash sister by choice; however, as of recently, she was nothing more than a stranger, a thorn in her side. She hadn't contacted any of the Mins for four months, yet there she was, coming to their rescue with Annabeth Chase on a frigging pegasus. Like nothing had happened, like she hadn't abandoned them when they needed her the most.

"Uh, guys," Leo drawled from where he was lying on his back with his face to the sky. "Look up there and tell me if those are flying horses."

At first, Annais frowned at him warily. "Are you good, Valdez?"

"Reinforcements," she heard Jason suddenly gasp in realisation. With her brows still furrowed, Annais looked up. A dark shape was appearing from the East, too slow for a plane and too large for a bird. As it got closer, Annais realised it was Eddie, Ezra's pegasus with a chariot not too far behind him. "Hedge told me an extraction squad was coming for us."

"Extraction squad?" she questioned.

"Wouldn't you know about this, Annais?" Piper scoffed, and it didn't take a genius to see she was upset.

Annais didn't have a chance to reply, though, for Leo was groaning and struggling to his feet beside her. "Extraction squad? That sounds painful."

"And where are they extracting us too?" Piper demanded to know. "Annais?"

"Everything will be explained eventually, okay?"

And that was that. The four of them watched as the pegasus landed gracefully at the end of the deck, the chariot pulling in beside it. Butch stepped out a moment later, assisting Annabeth Chase in lowering Ezra Min to the ground. Annais sucked in a sharp breath, prompting Jason to frown at her as he stood closest to her side, though she refused to look at him as she stared at Ezra. It really was her. She had dyed her hair a light blonde and was wearing glasses to shield her eyes. In fact, her hair was rather like Annabeth's now, the two matching as they stormed up the decking to where they were huddled.

"Where is he?" the daughter of Athena snarled, impatient and frustrated.

Annais frowned in confusion while Jason jumped in surprise. "Where's who?"

Annabeth pursed her lips for a moment, nostrils flaring like a dragon about to breathe literal fire. She hummed, dissatisfied, and turned to analyse the others as if looking for someone. She winced at the sight of Annais with her arms crossed but frowned again when she didn't spot Gleeson standing with them.

"What about Gleeson? Where is your protector, Gleeson Hedge?" she asked, subtly stepping further in front of Ezra as if to shield her from Annais' line of vision.