Chasing Pavement

Hey Fan's! I absolutely love this story, it’s actually easy to write. I’ve been secretly working on it as a side project. I really hope you take the time to read, vote and comment. it would mean so much to me <3
. . .

Chasing Pavement

 [ Prologue ]

I heaved my duffle bag into the rear of the dark blue Jeep that was parked in my driveway. “Here,” said a voice over my shoulder. “Let me get that.” I sighed in relief and smiled over my shoulder as I watched Anna’s brother heave my much heavier suitcase onto the roof of his car.

     “Thanks,” I chirped before hoping into the front seat. I was the navigator on this little escapade, which meant shot gun all the way. Lucky me, right? I pulled out the map from the glove compartment and opened it in front of me, laying it out on my lap. The driver’s side door opened while my head was down and closed as Liam steeled into the seat and clicked his seatbelt on. I tucked my legs under my body as Anna’s brother started up the car. I loved the awakening purr of any car. From the old geezer sounds to the kitten purr of a sports car.

     “Wait!” I heard shouted as my mother hurried out the front door and to the idling car. I cranked down the window. She thrusted two paper bags into my hands and before I could ask what they were she informed me that “there granola bars and a pack of water. You never can be too careful about always finding a place to grab something to eat.” My mom winked to my friends in the car and I felt my face get hot. “And I am really glad that you could come too, Liam. Remember what I said to you.” My mom pursed her lips playfully before she winked again. I could just die from embarrassment.

     “Well, you guys need to go. Hurry along now.” My mom shooed us out of her drive way with a flick of the wrist as she walked backwards towards out porch.

     When the front door closed I could hear my two best friends both saying “yay!” repeatedly in the back seat as they shook the car slightly with their rambunctious thrashing. Slowly, my face went back to normal and I looked back to Liam for any direction.

     “Everyone buckled and ready?” our OCD driver asked as he rechecked the mirrors.

     A unanimous grown of ‘Yeah’s’ could be heard from my two best friends and myself. I glanced in my side view mirror and smiled at Kaylie knowingly seeing as she was seated behind me. We were used to the Liam check once, twice and then thrice.

     The car started and Liam pulled out of my drive way. The warm breeze came in through the open window and gathered up my dark brown hair; brown hair that was as plane as a pickle, it neither had blond nor red highlights in the sunlight. It was just a dark brown. I tucked the fly- a- way’s behind both of my pierced ears before looking back down at the map, gazing at the long, long road ahead. A few feet down the street Anna stood up in her seat and stuck her head out the window, resting her hips on the sill for balance. “YEAH, LAS VEGAS, HERE WE COME!” she said as she pumped her fists into the warm summer air, her blond hair going crazy across her face but she just grinned without worry.

     Liam swerved at the sudden noise, causing a look of horror cross Anna’s face as she held on for dear life. Liam corrected the car and shouted “Anna, get back inside.” with a hard voice. Anna grumbled but complied as she sat back down, buckled her seat belt, and crossed her arms over her chest. Pouting, Anna looked out the window. I looked back at Kaylie and we both started to Laugh.

     Anna flicked her head at us and frowned at the two of us. “What?” She wondered in ignorant bliss, not realizing why we were laughing.

     I shook my head and chuckled some more while Kaylie answered. “Anna, were going to Arizona. Not Vegas, sorry babe.”