Chasing Pavement [ 17 ]

Chasing Pavement

[ 17 ]

The sun was rising as we went into the house. You could see the overbearing glare of orange casted across all of the appliances in the kitchen. It was a beautiful sight to see and I unknowingly stopped to watched it in the middle of the entrance way. This caused Anna to run into me with an ‘oomph’. She gripped onto my shoulders and pulled back muttering a chuckled sorry while I snapped out of the trance. Then, Liam ran into Anna and Anna ran back into me; more oomph’s ensuing and more steadying being done with giddy laughter filling the air quickly. I snorted a laugh as I stepped forwards again to catch my balance and not end up on the floor. “Sorry,” I waved off my air-headedness. “Just distracted.” I told them as an apology as I looked over my shoulder at the siblings.

     “Haha, what happened?” Anna stated. “Did you see a spider?” she poked fun.

     “No,” I said in an overly bit voice and narrowed my eyes at her accusingly. She knew that I wasn’t scared of spiders! “You know that I am not scared of spiders!” I told her and stepped backwards into the entrance of the house. I continued to walk backwards, glancing over my shoulder, as we made our way into the den. I decided that the den would be the best place to talk in.

     “You know what I want?” Kaylie stated, closing the front door behind us before she turned to our group. “I want a forking shower! That,” She pronounced it forcefully. “Is what I would louve.” I saw a light blush scatter across her cheeks- a rarely- and it suddenly dawned on me that she was trying to stall. For a moment, I wondered what she didn’t want to confront us about. I looked to Anna for any kind of assistance in this weird action of hers and Anna was shaking her head with a knowing smirk on her face. Kaylie and Anna shared a stair for a moment before Kaylie cupped her elbow, looking away guiltily.

     “You know what makes showers even better?” Anna put a strenuous gesture on ‘better’ with another knowing look. She could be maniacal at times… but, I had no idea what this particular situation was based on.

     Liam was the one to take a bite. “What?” he asked simply.

     Anna turned to Liam and I. “Guess?” she coaxed.

     This instantly made me think of a nice and hot shower. The kind that liquefied strained muscles. “Ice water!” I shouted my first thought. Everyone turned to me at my weird outburst and I clarified it for them. “You know,” I waved my hands, grasping for them to catch on. “A nice hot shower with a bottle of ice water? It’s such a great contrast!?” I tried to reason. As my sentence died, thought, the room still stood quietly ion pause. My face heated. “Don’t you drink water in the shower?” I asked. I surely did not know that it was a weird occurrence.

     “Oh, yeah,” Liam saved me and my two friends looked at him now with a peculiar look; eyebrows raised and laughing smirks in place. “I do it all the time?” but, it came out as a question really and I soon realized what he was doing.

     “You don’t really drink ice water in the shower, do you?” I could feel my shoulders slumping slightly. Sometimes I felt like such a weirdo.

     “What are you talking about?” Liam said in a big voice and a strained smile. I gave him a pointed look to drop it. “It sounds like a good idea…?” He finally confessed. I smiled lightly despite it and shook my head. Sometimes Liam acted like a kid. A very sweet kid.

     “Well,” Anna said loudly, drawing all of our attention. “As great as you statement was, I know of something wayyyy better!” she popped her eyebrows at Kaylie. “Right Kaylie?”