Chapter 12

Heather

I rolled around in the bed, I inhaled deeply and an unfamiliar scent surrounded me. I opened my eyes slowly. I thought I'd wake up with a sense of panic and anger, but I just felt calm.

I thought that without Tyler my world would feel like it's been destroyed but I had this strange sense of serenity. I sat upright, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

I heard voices coming from outside the door, they were muffled but I could make out a good part of what was being said.

"So, how was that event you had to go to?" A female voice that sounded like his mother asked.

"It was...interesting, thanks for bringing him to the house." Gabriele replied.

"You have this glow about you, and I know it is impossible that you are pregnant. Tell me did you do' you know what' ?" I started laughing but quieted instantly. She doesn't know I am here and it would make the question she just asked all the more possible.

"Mother! It is none of your business." I could hear embarrassment laced in Gabriele's voice.

"You know you need it, and I really want another grandchild." I started snickering softly.

"How can you ask something like that to your son?"

"Well, I know for a fact that Luca wasn't just magically made and I know that you haven't been real...active since he arrived. I'm just trying to help."

"You're worse than Aiden." I heard a muttered goodbye and the door being shut loudly. I stood up out of the bed, I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. Gabriele was standing at the stove making something that I was guessing, by the smell of it, was bacon. Gabriele looked up, his eyes set on mine.

I felt a heat beginning to rise in the pit of my stomach.

"Good morning, I'm making bacon and toast." He gave me a lopsided smile. He was still in his pj's. A few minutes later Luca came in with his jet plane making plane sounds and running about.

"Be careful and watch where..." Before Gabriele could finish his sentence Luca tripped on the stairs landing with a thump on the wood floor. Tears began streaming down his face as he grabbed his knee. I rushed over to him kneeling beside him. Gabriele also followed me as he rushed to us.

"Oww!" He cried. Gabriele studied the wound where Luca skidded his knee on the wood floor. His knee skidded on the lining where the wood floors were aligned, there was a small cut. I soothed Luca rubbing his back .

"Come on let's clean that up." He hoisted Luca up with ease and walked to the bathroom beside the living room. He placed him on the edge of the bathtub. He opened the cabinet, pulling out a first aid kit.

A strong smell of burning bacon came from the kitchen. Gabriele's eyes widened.

"Oh no, the bacon!" He fled out of the bathroom. I couldn't help but laugh at his reaction and a few seconds later the smoke alarm went off. I closed the bathroom door still soothing Luca. I got out a band aid  and soaked a cotton ball in surgical alcohol.

"This is going to sting a little." I dabbed it lightly and Luca just stared at me. When I was done I placed the bandaged over the small cut and placed a little kiss on the bandage, it's not such a bad cut and all he actually needs is a little sympathy.

"See, good as new." His snickering stopped and so did the smoke alarm. I opened the door and Luca hobbled out of the door. I shook my head, typical kids. I sighed and went to the kitchen. Gabriele was rinsing a pan that had black burnt pieces on it while he was I think cursing. I couldn't understand it since it was in Italian.