Chapter 1: Rewriting Fate

Maya took her final breath; the drum of her heart pounding against her chest before pierced her mighty Eagle Claw into the heart of Lord Mictlan, giving all of her strength onto the final blow. She accepted her faith, death, but she knew that it was the right choice to make to save the world. As her sword stabbed through the heart completely, Lord Mictlan let out an unearthly howl of agony; one that no one will ever forget until his whole body glowed a gorgeous yellow color that became brighter and brighter until it became blinding to look at.

Everyone covered their eyes from the shining light, the sky flashed, and sparkles of gold began to drop from the sky slowly. Lord Mictlan's unholy army faded into dust, indicating that they had finally broken free from their earthly chains and moved on to the afterlife. The sounds of mourning have erupted from the crowd, crying for the fallen souls and Maya. Suddenly, as the dust from the battlefield was blown away by a gentle breeze, an injured Maya lay on the floor weakly as she coughed. The princess opened her eyes and noticed that she was alive, and an astonishing face appeared on her face. Another cough was heard, and Maya could recognize that voice.

"Zatz..." The pain was traced in her voice. Confused about whether he heard his voice or if she was hallucinating. Her brown eyes grew as she saw her true love, alive and well in front of her, but still in the same condition as Maya. He raised his head to lay eyes on Maya and looked as surprised as she was.

"Maya?" He muttered weakly before softly smiling. Maya stood up with her remaining energy but failed as she fell on the ground and continued to get closer to him by crawling. Her limbs and joints ached so bad, but that wasn't going to stop her. Maya managed to reach his hand, and Zatz held onto her and brought her close to him.

The princess began to have tears dripping while sobbing; Zatz calmed her down as he took off her helmet and pulled a few strands of hair from her face to behind her ear.

"It's okay, Maya. It's all over." His voice felt like heaven to her ear every time she heard his soft and soothing voice; they looked at each other passionately and gave each other a small kiss. The desire and need to kiss him was unbearable; she thought that she'd never felt his lips again.

"I love you, Zatz." The cracking of voice could be heard.

"I love you too, Maya." He replied, leaning his forehead against hers. From the destination, they could hear their names being called out. They both looked and saw Rico and Chimi running towards them as they couldn't believe their eyes. Chimi helped Maya stand on her two feet as Rico did the same to Zatz.

"H-How are you still alive!? We saw you getting killed." Rico pointed out the unexplained. Zatz and Maya both looked at each other and were as confused as he was. Unfortunately, his question could not be answered; they don't even know themselves. The moment goes quiet as both don't know what to say.

"I don't know...." Maya finally spoke as a sharp pain in her chest hit, causing Chimi to soothe her injury. Her hand clutched her chest plate, and her teeth gritted, letting out a painful hiss.

"But what I do know-"She paused as she looked to the battlefield. They followed her vision and saw the damage that had been brought upon them. It was like a scar, scattering across the Kingdom of Teca and a permit reminder that will forever be there to remain anyone of the great battle against Gods and Mortals.

"That the war is all over."