who i am.

my name is neil crawford. i'm 15 and in my first year of high school. i've never been bullied. i have plenty of friends. my grades are average. i don't have any special hobbies.

to be blunt, i'm a plain guy.

the only thing i can do is draw. and i can only draw one thing. or one person, if you'd prefer.

enter Selina Lundarin. at the top of the class. hot as hell. hilarious as fuck. worshipped like she's the god of the school, which i'm sure she is.

best thing is, that girl is childhood friends with a guy like me. and that's not going to last much longer.

if it wasn't clear enough, or if you couldn't use your brain and see the foreshadow: i happen to very much like Selina. heck, i'm in love with her. don't deny the truth.

and she happens to very much like someone else. oh, the talks about samuel.

'if we ever got married one day, and i'm saying if, my initials would literally be s.s.'

are you trying to stab me through the chest with that adorable smile of yours? and as you talk about another guy, to boot?

don't get me wrong, she isn't sassy. she's not rude or annoying. she doesn't drone on and on about sam. she never really hits me or anything, which is surprising with my stupidity following her around all day.

no.

she's kind.

and she cares about me.

me, the plain neil. the guy that lives as a background character.

so she asks: 'what about you?'

'what do you mean?'

'i mean, do you like anyone? i feel horrible sometimes when i talk about sam to you. you can talk about these kinds of things to me, too, you know?'

'no, i don't think i can.'

'how come?'

'because i simply don't like anyone.'

and i'd say that with a grin. a roll of the eyes. something to reassure her that what i say is the truth.

we'd been friends since we'd been neighbors. ever since the second grade. it might not seem very long to you, but it's been very long to me. i started such a love years ago, after all.

so, because of that, what right do i have to suddenly tell her? if i wanted to say a thing like that, i should've done it then. i should've said it while samuel was still not existent in her life. while i still had the chance.

but i blew it, so what right do i have?

absolutely none.

'are you sure? you're probably just hiding your little crush from me. come on! say it! spit it out!'

'i'm serious, Sel! there's nobody there for me!'

'man, how lonely... i'm sure you'll fall in love soon. we're in high school, and that's where all the magic usually happens, right? well, i guess it could happen during middle school, too, but whatever.

'just remember that i'll always be there to support you, okay?'

'of course. the moment it happens, i'll run like a screaming girl to you. fuck no! i'm not going to tell you for a whole month, then i'm gonna knock on your door and tell you that i got a girlfriend.'

'sure. and pigs can fly. i don't think a whole month is good enough, neil.'

i can say a year isn't.

'are you saying I could land a girlfriend after crushing on her earlier than that?'

'what?! no!'

'i'm so happy you think so highly of me. but who knows, i might go the other way.'

'getting a boyfriend, you mean? i could still support you. we're best friends, after all.'

yeah.

my name is neil crawford. i'm 15 and in my first year of high school. i've never been bullied. i have plenty of friends. my grades are average. i don't have any special hobbies.

to be blunt, i'm a plain guy.

the only thing i can do is draw. and i can only draw one thing. or one person, if you'd prefer.

i can only draw Selina.

because i'm the background, nothing i just said even matters.

'thank you for being by my side. i really love you, neil.'

but not the way i love you.

'i love you, too. as a friend, of course.'

'as best friends.'