Chapter 16: Brother...

After work, Chris held true to his word and was walking Kitsune home. It was about 5:30 p.m., and the sun was about to set. Chris held onto her hand as they walked down the street, keeping an eye out for her brother. "So, before it slips my mind, what is your brother's name anyways? What does he look like?" He asked.

"U-Umm.. His name is Mike. He's t-taller than I am, but he's also shorter than you. He has short, almost shaved brown hair, and g-green eyes." Kitsune explained, gripping tighter on his hand. "H-Hopefully, we don't have to see him again.. J-Just because I got away from him earlier d-doesn't mean I'll be able to do it again..." She remarked.

"You're not wrong... Worse case scenario, we bump into him and I'll scare him off. I made you a promise, afterall. I said I'd never let him hurt you, and I'm a man of my word- he ISN'T going to do anything to you whole I'm around." Chris stated, trying to be of some assurance.

Kitsune smiled up at him a little, feeling a bit better. "O-Ok.. Thanks, Chris... For being there for me." She said. "Oh, it's no trouble at all, dear. Anything for you to feel better." Chris responded, ruffling her hair.

Everything seemed to be fine for a while... Until they saw Mike. Much to Kitsune's dismay, he also noticed them and was very quickly approaching. Gulping a little, the redhead hugged Chris's arm- anxiety coursing through her veins. Chris pulled her closer with one arm, narrowing his eyes as Mike came up to them.

"There you are... The hell did you run away for?! I've been looking for you all day!" Mike snapped, looking up at Chris. "And who the HELL is this?! Don't tell me you've spent this whole time just sl-" "Do. NOT. finish that sentence." Chris quickly interjected.

"You see your sister with a boy, and you AUTOMATICALLY assume that she's selling yourself? Are you serious? Have more faith in her than that, heavens." He shook his head.

"Alright then- who are you?" Mike asked, crossing his arms. "Christopher, Christopher Pierre. Her boyfriend." Chris bluntly stated.

Kitsune nodded, burying into him. "If I'm correct, you must be Mike. And from what I've heard, you were trying to get her to go back with you. Care to explain that?" Chris interrogated.

"I'm her brother- you obviously know that. She NEEDS to be with her family." Mike responded. "Alright then, explain why she's scared of you. Explain why earlier today, she was so panicked from seeing you, she practically collapsed into my arms on the verge of tears. Explain the fact that she had to surgically remove a tracking device from her neck." Chris stated, glaring at the brunette male.

Mike was silent, looking at Kitsune with an expression that seemed almost disappointed in a way. "So, you did actually remove it. You really don't care about what happens to you, do you." He stated.

Chris huffed. "Oh, quit it. I know what you're doing. You're trying to use fear tactics to manipulate her." He noted. "Leave her alone, already. She's eighteen years old- she can make her own decisions." He remarked.

Mike angrily sighed, looking at Kitsune "Listen, Kitsune. I don't know what this guy put in your head, but I'll give you a chance. If you don't come back with me within three days, I'll drop it. Just know that if you do, you're responsible for whatever trauma you suffer. Bye." He stated, turning away and leaving.

Once he was gone, Chris sighed. He was about to ask Kitsune if she was alright when she suddenly threw herself into his arms. He quickly grew concerned when she started shaking. "Hey, hey..." He whispered, gently scooping her up into his arms.

Tears dropped down Kitsune's face as she whimpered and whined, most likely out of stress. Even if she knew she wanted to stay with Chris, she was scared of whatever fallout with Mike would happen. What if he wouldn't drop it? What if he tried to take her by force?! These thoughts only caused more distress.

Chris frowned a bit, holding her closer. "Come on now, please don't cry.. Not again.." He quietly said, carefully wiping her tears with the hand that was holding her head up. "No more tears.. You're ok.." He tried to soothe her.

Before too long, the redhead had calmed down. "There you go, that's it... Feel better?" Chris asked, to which the redheaded girl nodded. "I-I... I don't wanna go back..." She mumbled, repeating her words from earlier.

"I know you don't, darling... And you won't- I promise. Whether or not he stays true to what he says, I'll help you handle it. I promise." Chris stated, still holding her in his arms as he continued walking with her.

"Do you remember what I said last week? I said we should get the authorities involved. I promise, the moment you're ready, we'll do that. He'll never, ever bother you again. You can live a happy and fulfilling life. I'll be there with you every step of the way. Me, Lily, Norman- we all have your back." He continued to talk to her, giving reassurances  and promises. Promises he very much intended to keep.

Before long, Kitsune had passed out in his arms. By that point, Chris had reached her house. He knocked on the door using his foot since he was currently holding Kitsune in his arms. Lily soon answered the door.

"Hi Chris! Is Kit ok?" She asked, immediately noticing as Kitsune was asleep. "Yes... And no. Earlier, we ran into her brother. I'll get more into it later, but for now, I'll tell you that he said that he's giving her three days to decide if she wants to stay here or go back with him... Needless to say, she's quite shaken up." Chris explained, as Lily let him inside.

"I see... She hasn't really talked about her brother with me much, but going off what you're saying, he must've been worse than what I expected..." The white haired woman remarked.

"Hopefully, things work out ok."