Chapter 9: "Not If I Have Anything to Say About It"

A few days later, Kitsune and Chris were walking down the street together. It was the afternoon, and Chris offered to treat them both to lunch. Even if she tried to decline, Kitsune was pretty damn sure that he'd insist. So with that in mind, they both left the antique shop.

They walked side by side, Kitsune glancing up at him on occasion. Since she saw him have, what he titled, 'an episode' a few days back, she's been rather worried for him. He seemed to be doing a lot better, which was good. Still, though. It was hard not to worry.

How often did those happen? Is there anything more she could do for him? She fidgeted with the bottom of her dress, mind swirling with concern and thoughts of what she could do. She was so stuck in thought, that she didn't even notice Chris had started speaking to her.

"Kitsune? Did you hear what I said?" He asked, finally snapping her out of her trance. Kitsune jumped, startled and slightly embarrassed.

"O-Oh! I'm s-sorry! I zoned out!" She apologized. "C-Could you please repeat that? I-I'm sorry."

Chris ruffled her hair, chuckling at her a bit. "It's fine, don't worry. Anyways, I asked if you had any allergies I should be aware of before I take you out for lunch." He stated.

"Oh, no, I don't. Thanks for your concern though." Kitsune responded, smiling up at him. "That's good. We're almost there, by the way." Chris responded.

Kitsune nodded, somewhat excited. Though, once again, her mind started wandering. This time, it was on something... different. She thought about how they must've looked, walking through town together. Chris always dressed formally, so she was very much used to it. However, when she's wearing fancy clothes as well... She wondered what they must've looked like.

That's when another thought crossed her mind. Did this... qualify as a date? She fought back the urge to squeak, glancing up at Chris out of the corners of her eyes. "H-Hey, Chris?" She spoke up, unable to fight back the stuttering.

"Hm? Yes, dear?" Chris responded, looking down at her. "Is... Are w-we... D-Does what we're doing count as a date?" The redhead asked, shyly.

Chris looked at her in slight surprise before giving a small smirk. "Well, not necessarily, no... However~..." He paused, tilting Kitsune's chin up and leaning a little closer.

"If you want it to be, it certainly can be~."

Kitsune let out a flustered squeal, covering her now beet red face. Chris laughed, patting her shoulder. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Maybe." He stated, grinning as Kitsune pouted. "You enjoy doing that a little too much." She huffed, crossing her arms.

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't. But seriously, DO you want this to be a date?" Chris asked. Kitsune paused, feeling as though she was two seconds away from short circuiting.

"W-Well... Maybe a... friend date...? I-I don't know, can we b-be on a date when w-we're not even together?" She asked. "Certainly. Besides, maybe it'll become something more in the future." Chris responded.

Kitsune smiled as they continued walking. She noticed that, fairly recently, he had been flirting with her quite a lot. It definitely caught her off guard, but she'd be lying if she said she didn't enjoy it. Hell, she wanted to find a way to flirt back. So far, she couldn't think of anything.

Oh well, maybe someday soon she'll think of something.

---

After a bit more walking, Kitsune and Chris had reached the restaurant. Chris had asked the redhead to wait outside, saying something to the effect that he wanted to surprise her. This worked out, as Kitsune wanted to think of something she could do for him. Maybe a gift of some kind? That sounds good.

She paced around the outside of the establishment, clearly deep in thought. She was so stuck in her various ideas, she hasn't noticed the man walking up behind her. And it wasn't Chris.

"Hey." The guy spoke up, prompting Kitsune to look up at him. He was taller than her, but shorter than Chris. He short brown hair and green eyes. He looked rather unassuming, as his outfit was rather casual- T-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes- you get the idea.

"Y-Yes sir?" The redhead responded, her shyness returning. She never liked being approached by men in public. It always gave her the shivers.

The male gave a smile, shrugging a bit. "You're pretty cute. What are you walking around out here for?" He asked.

Kitsune fidgeted a little, moving her hair out of her face. "O-Oh, I'm just w-waiting for my friend.. H-He's getting lunch for the two of us." She responded, smiling a little. 'Speaking of, Chris, where are you?' She couldn't help but think.

The man looked slightly agitated at the mention of another man, causing Kitsune to tense up a little. The guy kept his smile though. "Why don't you come with me instead? We can get out of here... Maybe have some fun?" He asked, eyeing her up and down. Kitsune shuddered, not liking the implications.

"N-No thank you, I-I'd rather wait for my f-friend. I-I don't know you, so... Yeah..." She stuttered, gasping when the stranger grabbed her wrist. "Come on, cutie. Don't be scared-"

"WHAT do you think you're doing?"

Chris's voice spoke up, causing the male to jump. Kitsune looked up at him, tears of fear and relief in her eyes. He held a bag in one of his hands, narrowing his eyes at the stranger. "Get your filthy hand off of her at once." He threatened.

The man was caught off guard, accidentally loosening his grip. Kitsune took her chance, pushing him away and running into Chris's arms. "Wh- hey!!" The guy yelped.

Chris glared at him. "Don't act so surprised... I KNOW what you were trying to do... And she ISN'T going anywhere with you- not if I have anything to say about it.." He growled, gently grabbing Kitsune's hand. "Come on, Kitsune, we're going." He stated. Kitsune nodded, following as he took her back to the antique shop. She was quiet the entire time.

She was very clearly shaken up.

---

Once the two of them reached the antique shop, Chris guided her to the break room. There was a small couch with a table in the center of the room. Chris sat down with Kitsune, placing the bag of food on the table. Before reaching into it, he placed his hand on Kitsune's back- gently rubbing up and down.

"Are you alright...?" He softly asked, concerned. Kitsune finally looked up at him, tears in her eyes. Instead of responding, she shook her head- faceplanting into his chest. Chris paused before wrapping his arms around her, gently pulling her closer.

"It's alright... I would never ever let anyone hurt you- especially in the way that... that imbecile had intended... You're going to be ok, I won't let anything happen to you. That's a promise." He assured her.

Kitsune sniffed, resting her head on his shoulder. She had finally calmed down a little, Chris smiling a little when he noticed. "There you go, that's it..." He pulled back slightly, pulling out a tissue from a tissue box that was on the table.

He held her chin in place, wiping any fallen tears away from her face. "Tears just don't suit this face of yours. You're far too beautiful for them." He stated, smiling a little when Kitsune giggled. Finally, she smiled.

"That's much more like it." Chris remarked, patting her head. "Feel better?" He asked, Kitsune nodding in response. "Yeah, much better. Thanks to you." She said.

"Good, good. I don't like seeing you cry." Chris stated. Kitsune smiled, as they both took the food out of the bag. As they ate, Kitsune realized that a recent thought that she had was just confirmed.

She definitely had a crush on Chris- she was sure of it now.