Chapter 15: Close Encounter

About a week had passed since Kitsune met Chris's family. Aside from Belle, she can't say she really enjoyed being around any of them. Fortunately though, Chris said that it would most likely be a while until they had to see them again. Nonetheless, she knew she didn't have to worry about them for a while.

She was on her way to the antique shop, just like any other day, for work. She was very excited today, as she created the dress she was currently wearing. She just couldn't wait to show it to Chris. In her mind, it was her best work yet it seemed.

She wanted to make a dress that matched his suit- so that's what she did. The main bodice of the dress was gray with a black bow elegantly tied in front of her chest. Short white sleeves connected to the bodice, imitating the sleeves of Chris's dress shirt. The skirt portion of the dress was a beautiful dark gray. Beneath her dress, she wore white stockings and black heeled dress shoes.

She was so excited to show Chris her new favorite creation, she hadn't even realized she was passing a dreadfully familiar face. She only stopped dead in her tracks when she heard him speak, her eyes wide. The redhead felt a chill go down her spine when she heard him address her. "Kitsune." There was no doubt about it- she knew exactly who it was.

It was her brother- Mike.

Kitsune didn't even turn to look back. "I've been looking all over for you. What are you doing out here? Where have you been? Come on, I'm taking you home." He said.

The redhead shook her head, running away. She knew that he was faking the caring act- she could easily sense the anger in his voice. She fought back tears as he heard her shout her name as she ran. As fast as she could, she booked it to the antique shop- not even thinking about looking back.

She had to get to the antique shop. Quickly.

---

Meanwhile, Chris sat at the desk at the shop- completely oblivious. He hummed as he looked up at the clock, taking note of the time. "She should be here soon." He said to himself. "I wonder what it is she wanted to show me." He remarked, recalling the excited text message he got from his girlfriend. Apparently, she finished making something.

Before he could wonder anything else, Kitsune had dashed into the shop. Chris immediately looked up, quickly becoming alarmed at her disheveled state. She panted as she leaned against the door, hands shaking. Tears welled up in her eyes. She looked absolutely terrified.

"Kitsune? What's the matter..?" Chris asked, slowly approaching her. His soft voice seemed to be the redhead's breaking point. She dashed forward, throwing herself into his arms- sobbing out of relief and fear. Chris almost fell from the sudden impact, steadying himself with one hand on the desk as he wrapped his free arm around Kitsune.

"Hey, hey, shhh..." He tried to soothe her, rubbing her back. He ran his hand through her hair, trying his best to comfort her. To say he was concerned was an understatement. To see her show up, so shaken, and then having her sob into his arms... It didn't leave a good feeling with him.

He scooped her up in his arms, holding her bridal style as he carried her into the break room. He felt his heart ache when she buried into his shoulder, softly sobbing into it. He set her down on the small couch, sitting beside her and rocking her in his arms. "You're going to be ok, I've got you..." He whispered, kissing the top of her head.

Finally, Kitsune had calmed down some. She sniffled, reaching to wipe her eyes. She was stopped by Chris, who gently held her wrist in place. Instead, he grabbed a tissue from a tissue box- using it to wipe away any tears on her face. "I've said it before, and I'll say it again- tears just don't suit your beautiful face." He stated, hoping to at least cheer her up a little.

His little attempt at trying to make her smile seemed to work as she giggled a little. "H-Heh, aww.." She smiled a bit, Chris giving one of his own. "That's much better. You look so much cuter when you smile, you know~." He said.

Kitsune squeaked, faceplanting into his shoulder- the same one she sobbed into. She pulled back, feeling embarrassed for dampening his shirt with her tears. "O-Oh- I'm sorry. I didn't realize how much I was crying." She stuttered..

Chris patted her head. "Oh, forget about the shirt. I'm much more concerned about you. What made you upset?" He asked, his concern resurfacing.

"A-Ah, well... On my way to work, I-I ran into him... M-My brother..." Kitsune started off. Chris tensed up, anger building up. Her brother- the same one that made her run away, the reason she had to surgically remove the tracker from her neck- had found her?

"H-He said.. He said h-he was looking for me... A-And that he was gonna take me back home..." The redhead explained. She bit her lip, shaking her head before burying into him. "I-I don't WANT to go back!!" She cried.

Chris hugged her, rubbing her back. "It's ok, it's alright... You're not going to go back... I'll protect you... If he tries to take you by force, he's going to have to get through ME first." He stated, rubbing her back.

"Trust me, dear. I'm not ever going to let him take you. Especially not without a fight." He assured, smiling a little. "Tell you what- I'll stay with you the entire day, and walk you home. Just in case you run into him again. If we do, I'll give him a piece of my mind. Sound good?" He suggested.

Kitsune paused before nodding, smiling. "Y-Yeah, ok... Thanks, Chris... I don't know what I'd do without you..." She responded, hugging him tightly.

She considered herself very lucky to have found someone like him to call a romantic partner.