"Some day when your Lord bestows His favor upon you and gives you authority, and if you see the sons of Khalid ibn Al Malik fighting over the throne for dominion of this kingdom, then stand by the one who's guided the closest by the wisdom of his Lord. But if you find none of them just enough to be a Khalifa, then don't be afraid to stand against the blood of Khalid, for by God, if he was alive, he wouldn't allow any of his sons to take this caliphate being unjust to the people."

Arwa and the man come to stand by a fountain. She's saying something to him and he keeps his gaze respectfully lowered, nodding in reply. Noura finds herself curious to find who he is. But her thoughts keep oscillating, continuously in a state of unrest, leaping to a past that now appears dead.

"Remember, Eskander, power and lust have led many men astray. Do not let the thirst of them lead to into becoming a wrongdoer. The life of this world is not lasting, but the account of our actions is a everlasting with our Lord. We're answerable to Him. So be a good man, always. Always."

"What if you've broken your promise to baba?" She gives another twirl to the hairpin. "How do I forgive you then?" She then puts it away under her waistband instead of pinning it in her hair. "How do I know who you've actually become, Eskander?" She stands up and sighs. "When I believe despite all the wrongdoings, maybe there still could be a good man in you, what if I don't find him, aziz (dear)?"

Arwa and the man finish talking. She leaves and a bunch of guards surround the man. He seems to give them instructions about something. Noura turns to where Faris is standing waiting for her, a good distance away, and motions him over. He comes to her at her command.

"Yes, sayidati?"

"Who is the man, Faris?" She gestures towards him and Faris follows her gaze.

"Taha ibn Amr," he replies, "the general called over from the borders of Samarkand."

A spark goes out in her head. She has heard his name before, from Adam, and from Yusuf bin Khalid himself. But that's not what strikes her. It's the fact that he has come to Baghdad from Samarkand. What for? She can only think of one reason.

"Adam is of the opinion that we give the rank of the general in Baghdad to one of our men, someone more trustworthy than him, and preferably send Eskander to the borders of Samarkand where he could stay far away and not intervene in case rebellion strikes."

The words of Yusuf rings in her ears like warning bells. Taha being here could only mean Eskander is to be sent away. She feels a panic rise in her gut at the thought of being left alone at the palace again, among its residents who are more enemies to her than friends, without someone she can truly trust.

She looks at Faris. "Where is Eskander now?"

"Currently at the barracks, sayidati."

"What time does he return to the palace?"

"I don't know, but he might not return. He has been staying the nights outside lately."

"What for?" she cannot help asking, a dread settling heavily in her heart.

"Dealing with political affairs," he answers shortly.

"Well then, we're going to the barracks to see him."

Faris quickly shakes his head in refusal. "You're not allowed to, sayidati."

"Who says that?" She begins making her way to the stables and he rushes to keep up with her.

"It's a place for training. The general might not appreciate us by dropping unannounced. Let me at least send a messenger to him first."

"Your general is not my lord, Faris. I don't need his permission. I'm going to see him and if he doesn't like it, he can refuse me. I'll come back without causing you more trouble."