4.) Home Early

You felt nervous heading home, knowing your dad will be there shortly, wondering why you're not at work. He's always so quick to jump to conclusions, no wonder why mom left. You grit your teeth thinking about how much you disliked your parents. It's hard to say "hate" because you didn't necessarily feel that way. You just wished things were different.

You pulled into your driveway, seeing your dad's car parked there making your stomach turn. Why is he home so early?

You got out your car and walked into the house. You could hear your dad screaming at something, which made you consider getting back in your car and driving away. But you knew you didn't have much gas left and you were tight on money, at the moment. So you mustered up all your courage and walked in.

You quickly looked around the living room and couldn't find him. Then you heard him yell, "THE FUCK? Who the fuck said that!?"

Your stomach dropped as you turned to look into the kitchen. You saw your dad, his back was turned towards you as he held his phone up to his ear and had a beer in the other hand. Oh god, he's drinking. You knew that meant he was 10x more pissed than he usually is.

"You're a fucking idiot for thinking I'd do some shit like that! What a real friend you are!" He must be talking about Dennis. Dad's only friend. Dennis is literally your father's only friend. He gave your dad a job, helped him after your parents separated, saved his life twice, and even helped you by bringing food over during times when your dad didn't have a job.

You knew that for the past 5 years, Dennis' wife was meeting up with your dad to have relations with him. You wanted to say something so badly to put him in his place but you knew you'd get beaten severely for something like that. You stayed quiet, listening to the conversation.

Your dad fell quiet as he listened to voice over the phone, then suddenly screamed, "FINE! Fuck you! I didn't need your charity anyways, Mr. My-life-is-so-perfect! I hope your hair falls out and Nancy leaves your sorry ass. You're a piece of shit aways! Get fucked!" Then, his phone smashed against the cold floor, glass going everywhere.

You jumped but stayed silent. You watched as he took the beer and chugged the rest of whatever was in it. He smashed that on the floor as well. There was glass all over the kitchen floor and he just stood there, his fists balled and shaking. He was super pissed.

Your dad started to turn and you pulled back, retreating behind the wall you stood by. You stepped towards the front door that was wide open and grabbed the door handle.

"What the fuck are you doing."

You froze, your eyes wide and your stomach sank. You turned your head to look back and he stood behind you, face red and veins bulging. You swallowed hard and turned to face your father. "I-I.. um.. got transferred to a new job so my hours have switched up.."

"That's not what I asked." He stepped closer. "It looks like you're trying to leave." You shook your head, "No! No, no, I-I was just shutting the door behind me."

A hard smack went across your face, and you gasped. Looking at him directly in his eyes, he said through gritted teeth, "You're a terrible fucking liar. Don't ever lie to me, little shit." Hot tears started to fill the corners of your eyes. Your dad grabbed the collar of your shirt and dragged you into the kitchen. He shoved you down, making small pieces of glass pierce into your hands. Thankfully, you were wearing pants so nothing got in your legs.

"Clean this shit up then stay out of sight unless you want me to whoop your ass." He spat, then turned to walk away into the living room. You looked down at your hands and saw blood starting to trickle down from your wounds. You sobbed, tears falling from your cheeks as you carefully pick the pieces of glass out your hands. Why does he do this? Is he happy when I'm miserable? Why can't we just be a normal family?

You sniffled as you picked up large pieces of glass and dropped them in the trash. Whatever was left, you used a broom to clean up. Then you washed your hands, putting bandages around them and ran to your room. You were already drained and exhausted. You sat down on your bed and looked at your phone. '12:30pm'.

You have 2 and a half hours before you have to leave for work. Hopefully, my outfit didn't get messed up so I can wear this to work tonight. You stood up and looked at your full body mirror. You turned, looking at your legs and butt where you fell on the floor. Nothing too bad, just some dirt that you wiped off.

You sighed, sitting back down on your bed. You set an alarm and decided to nap until you had to get up. You put your phone on charge and got under the blankets, trying to get comfy. Your eyes closed and you dreamed of someone you haven't thought of in a long time.

Take me away, Freddy. You're my only friend.