3 | The Black Moon

Sadie woke the following morning with a head full of moonbeams, monsters, and magical-memory-make-believe. Draping herself in several shades of black, which included her favourite cardigan—threadbare at the elbows and adorned with numerous zips, pockets and assorted metal buttons—placed over her long dress, knee-length stockings, and hard-wearing boots, she bounced downstairs, her body fizzing with excitement.

Sadie joined Eli at the kitchen table.

"Mmm, smells amazing in here!" tooted Michael, entering the room. Snapping his heels together, he ordered, "Attention!"

Sadie and Eli stood upright and saluted their father. "Good morning," he said, walking round the table. "The Hellhounds were kept at bay then. I don't see any life-threatening claw marks." Larissa shook her head at the stove. "I trust you slept well," he continued. "And you too, Eli."

"Very well, thank you," Sadie replied. "I had the most wonderful dreams."

Frowning at her husband, Larissa handed out plates piled high with pancakes.

Sadie beamed, reaching for the syrup.

Natalia wafted into the room smelling of cucumber, coconut, and apple blossom. Late for breakfast as usual. Michael shook his head comically as the smells surrounded the table.

"Crikey me! Is Dimitri about?"

"No Father," Natalia blushed. "He's coming for dinner this evening."

Michael flicked his gaze towards his wife.

"Please tell me you didn't forget!"

"Of course not, darling," Larissa smiled.

The doorbell chimed. Sadie skipped through the hall. Swivelling in his chair, Eli used the dials and levers to focus the Monster Magnifiers at Sadie as she heaved the arched oak door open.

"Danver's here," Sadie announced, beckoning her friend inside. They stood in the hallway talking while the rest of the Madisons finished their breakfast and Larissa stuffed school bags with sandwiches wrapped in brown paper and tied up with string.

At the door, Eli wrestled his arms into his winter coat.

The girls laced their boots.

Larissa knelt beside them, helping with the bootstraps. Sadie studied her mother's face. She looked drawn and pale, as though sleep proved a hard-fought battle. "Are you okay?"

"Of course, dear," Larissa replied. "What makes you—"

"Nothing," Sadie replied, her eyes drifting towards the door and the glistening snow beyond.

Larissa smiled. "It's a magical world out there, Sadie. A world filled with adventure and mystery, opportunity and endless possibilities." She took Sadie's arm, spinning the girl to face her. "But a world filled with danger and darkness too: River Wraiths, Fire Wolves, The Winter Witches—"

As Larissa spoke, a knowing look bloomed on her daughters' face.

"You don't believe Father's stories," Sadie said. "Do you?"

Larissa bit her lip. "No...but I do believe in your father." She attempted to fix Sadie's hair, but quickly gave up. Kissing her mother's cheek, Sadie fastened her amaranthine coat and waited on the porch.

The Madison children, accompanied by Sadie's friend Danver, ambled past the family Jongelier and waited silently beside the automobile. Eli peered through the filthy windows with his Monster Magnifiers, adjusting the dials, his notebook peeping out the top of his school bag.