05. proof of love

+

+

nini adjusted the strap of her bag as she walked back through the entrance of the hospital, making her way past the counter into the hall that lead to ricky's room.

she'd managed to be convinced by carlos and seb to go home for a good night's sleep - though it was far from it like it had been every night since the accident - so this morning gave her the opportunity to stop by her bakery to get ricky's usual favorite order.

when arriving at his room, she opened the door but suddenly froze in fear.

it was empty.

not just empty as in he wasn't in it. empty empty. his belongings, the comforter that was on the hospital bed, the old hospital food he'd most definitely would've left alone; gone.

nini swallowed nervously, turning around swiftly before stopping in her tracks when seeing a doctor

"excuse me! excuse me!" she exclaimed breathlessly

"what can i help you with ma'am?" the man asked kindly

"um..." she mumbled "m-my husband was supposed to be in this room but-but it's empty. he's gone?? i-i just left for the first time in weeks to head back home to get a few things and i came back early so...i-i don't know where he could've gone."

the man took out a tablet, furrowing his brows "well, let's see if we can check out what's up. what's his name?"

"ricky." she answered "richard michael bowen."

"richard michael bowen," he repeated as he tapped away on the tablet before waiting a few seconds, nini impatiently glancing down at the screen while she tapped her fingers against the coffee cup in her hand "it looks like your husband's been moved up to the vip section of the hospital. he's just in another room. it's over on the third floor, east wing."

nini exhaled slowly and nodded "thank you."

"of course."

her heart was accelerated to a high speed and she hadn't taken a breath the whole way up to ricky's new room until rushing in through the door, seeing her curly-haired husband looking back at her in confusion

"oh...hey."

nini opened her mouth to say something before her eyes travelled to the right, seeing two older-aged adults stood there; a man and a woman. both looking a lot like ricky.

"uhm..." she swallowed and adjusted her bag again "y-you must be mr and mrs bowen..."

ricky furrowed his eyebrows when he realized that nini and his parents didn't seem to know each other. how would his supposed parter of three years not know his family?

"do you have any idea of the reaction we had when we got a call from the hospital informing us that our own son had been in an accident and had to undergo major surgery?" the woman questioned nini quietly with a serious face "and you didn't even think to tell us?"