Heart of Gold

The wedding ceremony was over. Rupier put on something more comfortable, but insisted Elira stay dressed up for the honeymoon ride. Her favorite horse, Umbra, had been outfitted with a huge, gilded saddle and a headpiece that would have rivaled even that of the king.

During dinner, the young butler, Xavier, served white wine, and his nimble fingers tucked a small key into Elira's hand with the same care he always took brushing her horses, and her hair, and her cheek. "A toast," Rupier said, raising his voice and glass with a glittering grin. "To the future, and what is now mine." She was stained gold in his eyes.

Elira excused herself, changed into her riding clothes and cloak, and unlocked the servant stairs, hurrying to the stable. Xavier was waiting for her there with a hand on Umbra's shoulder. "I imagine they're looking for you already," he murmured, tucking a stray curl behind her ear and glancing around nervously.

Umbra snorted, and Elira wrapped her arms around Xavier's waist. "I wouldn't be so sure." His expression softened. He leaned down and kissed her painted lips.

Umbra's ears swiveled just moments before Rupier strode in. He paused to take a sip of wine. "We've been worried sick," he said without a hint of sincerity.

Elira tugged Xavier's hand, and he helped her into the saddle. Rupier watched unconcernedly as the butler led Umbra outside. He hopped on behind the young queen and flicked the reins, and Rupier downed his glass.