Confirm

It was May 1st, 11:56 PM. I stared at my computer screen. "Congratulations!" it read, as it had for over a month. "You've been accepted!" Below the carefully stacked blocks of exclamatory text in a milky ocean was a button. A blue, sans-serif raft, adrift, with no land in sight, especially not through that low-res confetti. "Confirm your enrollment," it said. It told. It commanded. "You want to, don't you?"

The second hand brushed by the 12, and I slid my finger down my never-quite-clean trackpad. What did I want? What had I wanted? This college hadn't been on my list, not until my mom had patted my hand and led me along by my wrist. She said it was the best. Where other colleges failed, this one got all As.

It was May 1st, 11:58 PM. My finger hovered on the left mouse button. What about the other colleges? We'd spent months sizing them up, dissecting them like frogs in the biology class I barely passed, all for nothing. Only one had said yes. It was a resounding yes, a yes that said, "We want you." "You belong here."

"Confirm your enrollment." The unstoppable red line made another orbit around its black sun. It was 11:59 PM. "Show us you're there." It was now, or a year from now, and maybe never. Interest was rare. Attention was precious. "Make us proud." I stepped onto slippery, loosely-fastened logs, found my footing, and headed out to sea. I didn't look back.