The Lost Queenling

Gemina was born from the crumbling, moist earth of a deep forest never touched by human hands or feet. Her long, golden hair splayed around her head as she crawled onto the leaf cover and collapsed in exhaustion. Burrs were caught in her grass-green dress and cloak, and her clear skin was mottled by soil and tiny pebbles. She shakily flipped over onto her back with a weary grin. Her smile faded when she noticed the three elves standing pensively around her.

One frowned and said, "It cannot already be time for a new queen of the elves. The last was born only months ago."

"Then, what is she?" an elder elf asked, lowering his glasses and peering into Gemina's intelligent ruby eyes.

"A mistake," the first elf said simply, turning on a heel and walking back towards the village. "Let the forest take her. It can make up for its error." Gemina winced and coughed, but said nothing.

"Oh, Aruno, what are you saying?" a female elf admonished, near tears. "Queenling or not, we cannot just abandon a child in the woods! Let us take her to the palace. They'll know what to do."

Aruno crossed his arms, face darkening. "No. This isn't right, Liviya, you know that. There is never more than one." The village elder nodded in agreement.

Liviya scooped up Gemina in her patient arms, doing her best to brush the child off. "Well, let's take her home, at the very least." To the elder, she said, "Say nothing of this." He sighed and adjusted his glasses, staring at the hole in the ground.

Gemina came downstairs to Aruno vigorously shaking his head over his breakfast of passionfruit and mushrooms. "No, Liviya, she can't..." He caught himself when he noticed Gemina standing uncomfortably in the doorway. "Morning," he said gruffly after a moment, returning his focus to his plate.

"What can't I do, father?" she asked as she sat beside him at the table.

Before he could reply, Liviya butted in, "Archery lessons for children of your age begin today, and you're going."

"Ah, right, children of her age," Aruno scoffed. "What age is that, exactly?"

"I'm twelve years old now," Gemina said proudly, trying to ignore her father's usual brusqueness.

"That doesn't count the seven or eight years that she seemed to start with," Aruno corrected for Liviya through a bite of mushroom. "She's not going. She won't fit in, and I don't want her bringing shame to our family name." Gemina hung her head. Her lips tightened.

"But-" Liviya began.

"No. I will continue to educate her myself. She is already skilled with a bow, besides."

"She needs to find friends among her peers!" Liviya insisted.

"What peers!?" Aruno exploded back at her, slamming his hands on the table. Neither of them noticed Gemina stand, wrap her leafy cloak around her, and silently slip out the front door.

The village, in its compactness, had plenty of nooks and crannies to take refuge in. This Gemina knew, as she'd found most of them at one point or another. She had always stayed within the bounds of the foraging areas that bordered the village, but now she felt the urge to get away, and stay away. She'd never felt welcome at home. Enough was enough. Carefully, she picked her way through the clusters of grapevines and strawberry ground cover, and when she reached the far fence, she clambered over it and kept going.

After a few hours of walking, Gemina began to feel silly that she hadn't eaten her breakfast or taken any food with her. She was quite hungry, and eventually decided to hunt for plants that she recognized. She searched until her legs grew weary and her arms were covered in scratches from brambles and thorns, but to no avail.