13) A Listening Ear

Start from the beginning

Wow. She never knew Avocado leaves had such uses. How rich!

"You don't seem to get me yet. Don't judge a book by its cover is simply what I'm trying to say. No matter how someone seems to you, what you see may not be what is."

She knew that. "Why are you telling me this sir?"

"I know you know this fact. I am reminding you because you seem to have forgotten."

Ah. How? 

Her pastor smiled at her confused face. "There is a young man who has been approaching for a month and two weeks now. His father is on his death bed. The young man knows, but is at a loss on what to do. You see him as someone nothing good would come from associating yourself with him. But, I tell you now my dear, everything you need is in that young man. Your destiny is tied to his. You can feel it. Yet you ignore whatever word you get concerning him because your mind is set on what kind of person is. You unknowingly condemn him and you judge him unworthy of your attention. Matthew 7:1, 'judge not, that ye be not judged.' Romans 8:1, 'there is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus.'"

Her confusion increased. Just who was he talking about? The only person she knew whose father was close to death was Chinedu. She didn't reject him, did she? He only approached her last week Friday. Who had she known for one month and a half that she had been judging and rejecting? She couldn't place it.

"You don't have to worry yourself thinking about who he is. He will approach you again today scared and without his usual mask of arrogance. This time, if you turn him away, you have turned yourself away." 

After that, Mrs. Effiong came to call them in for breakfast. She didn't want to be a burden, but her pastor insisted she ate with them before she went back home since he took her time. By the time she was done, it was already 11:25am. Her pastor offered to drive her to her house and to her place of posting, but she declined. Thankfully, he didn't insist. 

"Chinemerem."

Patricia paused when her pastor called her native name. He and his wife were the only ones who knew that name. Even her close friend of five years didn't know it.  It was what her mother used to call her. That would explain why she was completely frozen hearing that name again after so many years.

"Do not run away out of fear. His destiny is tied to yours. You complete each other. Wisdom is profitable, my dear. While he is your helper as you are his, be careful. For the devil loves to paint even the most beautiful things black." The pastor knew she wouldn't fully understand now, but when she did, she would come back in tears. He knew she would. It was inevitable. He could only warn her. It was still her choice to make.

Patricia didn't respond to what the man said. Her mind was in turmoil all through her way home and towards the hospital. She absentmindedly went through her duties. Her smiles were not as bright as they usually were. 

The head nurse noticed. The woman called her favourite medical student when she knew her time of service had elapsed for the day. "Pat my dear, is something the matter?"

"Nothing ma. All is well." She smiled. 

The woman could sense the girl wasn't telling the truth, but she decided not to push for the truth. Knowing the girl's character, if she didn't want to speak, no amount of coercing would make her crack. She was that head strong. It was both annoying and admirable because it made her a worthy confidant. With a heart full of prayer for the young lady who always gave her good advices and words of prayer and encouragement, she let her go. As she watched the lady sign out for the day and leave her office, she shook her head. "Truly, no one is void of problems. Even problem solvers and solution givers have problems too. Who knows? They may even be the ones with the most problems in life. But, whatever problem you are facing my dear, you shall overcome in Jesus name. Amen."

Patricia sighed immediately she exited the building only to be blinded by the scorching sun. "Ugh," she groaned. Her usual partner in crime didn't come to the hospital today. She didn't know where the girl was or what was wrong. She tried calling her some time ago, but her line was switched off. She searched her handbag for her phone so she could try calling the girl again. Maybe she would pick up this time. She frowned when she couldn't find her phone in her bag. Just as she proceeded to check her pockets, someone placed something within her line of vision. It was her phone, but as she looked up at the person who was also holding an umbrella that was currently blocking the rays of the sun for her, she frowned. Him again. 

Bayo stared at the girl from up close. It had been a while since he had been this close to her. Her long curly hair had been twisted beautifully. They fell nicely around her face and gave her a rather nice look. Her countenance, however, seemed to change for the worst whenever she saw him. "You left your phone on the head nurse's desk. She asked me to give it to you." 

She was doubtful about his story, but she took the phone anyway. "Thank you." Just as she was about to leave, he held her hand. 

"Wait please!" There was a moment of silence. Bayo didn't understand why he had called her back. What would he say now? Would she get angry? Would she slap him?

Patricia stared at the boy curiously. Why was he stopping her this time? Was all the numerous rejections she had given him not enough? What in the world could he possibly want?!
'Judge not. You're judging again.'
Patricia scoffed at what the Holy Spirit said within her. Judging? At what point did she...wait a second...

"I'm scared."

Patricia blinked at the tall chocolate skinned boy. "I'm sorry?"

"It sounds absurd, but I've been having recurrent inexplicable dreams ever since you ministered in my church last month. Please, if you could only give me a listening ear?" 
She stared into his hopeful brown eyes, undisturbed by the fact that he was still holding on to her arm. 'He will come to you again scared and without his usual mask of arrogance. Do not refuse him.' Patricia sighed and rubbed her forehead. She was sure she was going to regret this, but...

"Fine."