6) Opportunity

After that strange dream on Sunday, Bayo had simply been out of his mind and completely overwhelmed with questions. The worst part was that the scriptures he was given, he had completely forgotten them. Just what in the world was wrong with him? It seemed so important. He was so sure that for the past four days, he had been seeing things. Sometimes, he would see someone with a rather mean facial expression standing beside some patients in the ward he was assigned to. This week, he had been taken to the children's ward. It was weird and alarming.

Even his dreams these days had taken a rather drastic turn from the usual films or things he desired to confusing images. The one that got him so scared last night was the one of his father laying in a coffin. Strangely, he hadn't set his eyes on Patricia ever since the service in his church on Sunday. Was she not in the same hospital premises with him? He had to apologise to Flora for ditching the weekend plan he had made with her. Fortunately, after much begging, slight threatening and coarsing, Chinedu agreed to take Flora out on Saturday to make up for it. Nevertheless, Flora had told him that Patricia had declined the invitation anyway. Even if the news about his father hadn't reached him and he had time, she still wouldn't have come. Now, he knew why. That wasn't her style. Bars and clubs weren't her thing. Anyone could see that from what happened on Sunday.

If he wanted to get close to her, he had to tap into his inner church mind. He also had to talk to her about the strange things he had been seeing ever since her ministration. If only he could sight her...

"Patricia!"

Speak of the devil.

"My dear, please help me to clack this patient. I have to rush somewhere."
Bayo watched the head nurse of the pediatric unit place a clipboard into her hands. She wasn't assigned to this unit though, was she?

"I know you're in the ICU today, but please help me. I'll give your consultant a note now before I leave. It's an emergency."

Never in his life had he seen this woman speak to any student as politely as she was currently doing to Patricia. 

Patricia smiled and nodded. "Okay ma." She collected the clipboard from the woman. "Please don't drive too fast. Your child is fine. It's just dehydration."

Bayo frowned as he stared at the girl's sure expression. Was that really the reason this woman was rushing out of the hospital premises during her working hours? Her child collapsed because of dehydration?

The head nurse took the young lady's hands, eyes inquiring. "Really? You are sure it's really not serious?"
Patricia nodded and smiled. "Yes. Just buy two bottles of cold water while you're going to pick her from school. Ella will be fine."

The fact that the nurse wasn't even surprised and was acting all humble in front of her surprised him greatly. Just what was this girl carrying?
Just as Patricia saw the nurse off and entered into the pediatric unit, she was met with a rather familiar voice.

"What's the trick?"

Her eyes lifted from her clipboard and met normal dark brown ones native to Africans. "Excuse me?"

Bayo crossed his arms, eyes scrutinizing the form of the girl in front of him. Luckily the seven kids in the room were on sedatives so he didn't have to worry about them listening in on this discussion and the new patient she was about to take a record on was too busy fussing over their newly bandaged sprained ankle to even bother. "What you just said to her, was it true? How did you know her child collapsed? Did she tell you?"
Patricia didn't answer him. She merely frowned as she stared at him. 
Her frown was what confused Bayo. It was where the focus of her eyes were. They weren't directly on him but beside him.