"Annabeth, what is wrong?" Percy asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Listen Percy. Do you hear the hissing?"

He furrowed his brow then fear flashed through his eyes. "I-I k-know that sound. Annabeth, something is wrong."

As the bus thundered down the road, our bodies stiffened with the raspy hiss that was now filling our eardrums. By then, another hiss had joined in. They both hissed a song, one filled with destruction and nightmares. Yet, I just knew it was familiar.

"We have to get to the driver now!" Percy said in my ear before trying to get up.

That was the worst time to move because at that moment the bus was shaken by what felt like a blow. Percy was knocked to the floor of the bus and the other passengers lost their minds. Screams lifted from almost every mouth as people grabbed at their seat belts. Percy tried to stand again but his efforts were thwarted as the bus experienced another violent hit. The driver started shouting about losing control of the vehicle and about everyone bracing themselves.

Percy regained his balance and grabbed me by the shoulders. "George and Martha. It is George and Martha!" he screamed above the pandemonium.

That explained why the hissing had sounded familiar. George and Martha were the snakes on Hermes' caduceus and we had met them on many occasions and even saved them at one point.

"Wait if George and Martha are attacking us, then..." I never got the chance to finish my sentence because the bus was flung to its side. Bits of glass splattered everywhere and people were flung out of the bus. "God, please save them. Please!" was my only thought as I was flung with Percy through the glass windows. I could not bear the thought of people dying and being hurt just because they were on the same bus we were on. Not again.

By the time I came to, I realised I was beside Percy and I was unharmed. Not a scratch. And around us was a glass-free circle. I shook Percy and he woke up. His lip was a bit swollen, probably from when he was slammed around in the bus before we crashed.

"Hmm. The Heroes of Olympus, reduced to fearful, helpless mortals." said a voice I would know anywhere.

"Hermes. You mongrel." I snarled as I stood to my feet. I was ready to beat the daylights out of him but Percy restrained me.

"Hermes, what do you want? George and Martha got our attention." Percy's flat tone seemed to unnerve Hermes.

"So, because you think you are free, you get to talk like that, aye? " Hermes said as he snapped his fingers. Out of the carcass of what was once a bus slithered two snakes that shrunk the closer they got to us. They slithered up Hermes' staff and assumed their positions, hissing at us with hatred.

"I liked them too. They got us rats to eat. Now they are joining the bad side." hissed George with  what I guessed was the closest he could get to a frown on his scaly face.

"Hush, you imbecile!" hissed Martha in response.

Hermes strutted slowly towards us until he was only half a yard away. He was wearing a casual outfit, a white t-shirt with khaki shorts and flipflops. You would think he was going for a lazy day at the beach instead of on a bus-crashing escapade.

"So, you just turn your back on us and run to the first person that seduces you? Pathetic." Hermes spat at us, his words like venom.

"Jesus is the way, Hermes. Even you know it." I replied, trying to control the emotions threatening to bubble over. I silently pleaded to God to help me with courage to face this challenge.

"Do not say that name!" screeched Hermes as his eyes began to glow with anger.

"Why not? He saved us! Jesus is giving us something you could never even try to give." stated Percy.

At the mention Jesus' name again, Hermes started trembling with rage. "What about Luke? You are abandoning everything he died for because of the first person that offered you 'peace'." Hermes said the last part with a mocking tone. His smile turned cruel when he saw my expression.

How dared he bring up Luke! How could he? I threw up another prayer. "Lord, please help me. I don't know how to respond." I felt a sudden courage fill me. I knew what to do.

"I refuse to be guilt tripped by you any longer Hermes! I am not responsible for his decision and I will not continue to be emotionally manipulated by you! Plus, Jesus offered much more than peace. He offered reconciliation. No more darkness, no more manipulation!" I screamed at the top of my lungs and I stepped up to Hermes' face. He had to move back but he was boiling over.

"You foolish mortals! You want to go against the gods? Fine then! But remember that this is not over!" He bellowed and then struck the ground with his caduceus.

"Annabeth, your eyes!" I heard Percy scream behind me and so I turned away as Hermes exploded into his god, or should I say, spiritual form. I had no desire to look upon the demon that he was and I waited till he was gone before I burst into tears.

I collapsed into Percy's arms and wept. Hermes, the messenger of the gods, father of my former crush, the god of travellers, commerce and thieves. He had definitely stolen a lot of peace from me because of the Luke incident but that was over.

"It is okay, Annabeth, he is gone. You were really brave." said Percy as he raised my tear-streaked face and pushed my hair behind my ears.

I shook my head. "I did not do it alone. God was right beside through the whole thing."

Percy nodded. He gave me a few seconds to compose myself, then he said, "I think I saw someone stirring. Let us go check on them."

I nodded and let him drag me to my feet. I would be okay; God was with me. I would just take this very uncertain journey one careful step at a time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess who's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!💖💖💖😌

Boy is it good to be back with you all! Amazing, amazing humans!!! How have you all been?

I have been great!! I did a lot of reflection and planning during my hiatus and I am back just in time for Christmas!🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Let me give some back story: Back in the first series, Luke was Annabeth's crush/brother figure. He was her all, her hero since he looked after her. But he betrayed everyone and joined, scratch that, started a rebellion against the gods. Long story short, in order to save the world, he had to kill himself and, by consequence, the bad guy who was inhabiting his body😳😳😳. Annabeth is STILL recovering from all that. So yeah.

What do you all think of chapter 8? Do you guys enjoy Annabeth's point of view? Three books in 2 hours is fast, by the way!

Please, give me the amazing Christmas present that is your vote. And I LOVE COMMENTS!! Welcome, by the way, to all new followers!!!

I plan on adding a sort of glossary for my readers who have not been introduced to the series previously. Expect that soon (I know, I have been promising for a while now🤣😂 Bear with me.)!!!!

That is enough from me!!! God loves you and He wants a relationship with you!!!!! So go to Him, He got you💖💖

Love,

Cookie😜🍪