He covered my mouth with his hand to shut me up. "Calm down, I'm not going to do that."

I raised an eyebrow in suspicion. "Then why are we here?"

"I told you already, it's a surprise." He flicked my nose before undoing my seatbelt for me and hopping out of the car to grab something from the boot. I hesitantly followed but he hid the items behind his back so I wouldn't be able to see. "No, that's cheating."

I groaned. "Please just tell me."

He grabbed my wrist and dragged me away from the parking lot. We ended up at this weird park I'd never been to before but that's probably because we were around a 50 minute drive away from where my house was. We walked up this hill and then suddenly stopped under a tree. I swear I had never been so confused in my life but I kind of weirdly liked it.

"What now?" I asked impatiently but then he quickly took whatever it was that was behind his back out. A McDonald's bag. He bought McDonald's. I couldn't really contain my excitement. "Wait, seriously?"

He nodded. From where we were sitting, the shade of the tree was covering us so we wouldn't get sunburnt and the view of the city was absolutely breathtaking. The city looked as fresh as this day, almost sweet and floral as the pace of living relaxes to a steadier rhythm. It's astounding really, how small something so big can look from so far away. Just like how this made such a big impact on my heart.

"This is beautiful," I breathed before sitting down next to Liam and taking in all of the scenery. He looked so relaxed and calm right now, like we were the only two people in the world. There was something that was really bugging me so I just had to ask. "Why did you do this?"

He looked confused as he looked over at me and his eyebrows drew together. "Hm?"

"Like, why did you do all of this?" I was referring to this place but I was secretly asking something else too. Why did he choose me out of all of his friends? He's the popular guy so why is he hanging around me? We just work together and that's it, so I was curious as to what he saw in me. I'm just an average closeted teenager who probably needs therapy. "I'm actually surprised you want to be friends with me."

He chuckled before shoving a fry into my mouth. "There's a lot you don't know about me, Cupcake."

I swallowed it before leaning back against the tree. "Quit calling me that, it makes me feel like a five year-old girl."

He snickered a little but didn't say anything else. Instead, he just admired the place we were in, and I couldn't really blame him. It was a really beautiful spot layered with trees and greenery. Flowers and colors bloomed in almost every place you looked and the sky somehow seemed more blue and I didn't even think that was possible.

I was still genuinely a little confused. Why bring me here? Why not his friends or some random girl? We just worked together so I didn't understand what was so special about me. I mean I wasn't complaining, I was literally hanging out with Liam Lundin, but it still puzzled me.

Suddenly Liam's voice interrupted me as I winced. "What are you thinking about?"

The grass felt soft beneath my fingertips as I shrugged nonchalantly, leaning back against the hard tree. "Not much, just how nice this place is."

We stayed like that for I don't even know how long, the summer breeze occasionally washing over my body making me shiver. Sunlight was beaming through the clouds as it eventually started to set.

I wish I could stay like this forever.

***

"I already said no." Sarah demanded, her hands clenching into tight fists by her sides as she glared at our mother. Max was currently out at a friend's and Rosie was fast asleep in her room. "You can't force me to do something that I don't want to do."