Chapter 22 - Awkward

"Hey. Hey, Hidgens."

Becky eased her eyes open, then closed them again as light flooded in. Shielding her eyes with her arms, she blinked a few times as her eyes adjusted to her surroundings.

It didn't take her long to recognise Costa Coffee, but this wasn't just any Costa Coffee. Pulling herself to her feet, a look outside the window told her that this was the same Costa Coffee that Becky and her friends had spent most of their school years. But something was off. First of all, she didn't know how long she had been lying on the floor for. And there were no customers. Just Becky and the barista, who she assumed was the one speaking.

As the barista turned round Becky did a double take. "We're all out of hot chocolate," Amelia Murphy said, "but we've got a few specials today. Life in prison seems to be a popular one, but we've also got murdered in cold blood if that's more to your taste."

"Amelia, what on Earth is going on?" asked Becky. "You're supposed to be dead."

Amelia smirked. "Don't tell me the great Rebecca Hidgens doesn't have all the answers! Anyway, you should have died four years ago, but we all have a habit of not dying when we're supposed to."

"You did actually die though," Becky said as Amelia stepped out from behind the counter. "I was in prison. For your murder."

Amelia rolled her eyes. "Wow, the so called hero is even better at murder than I am. This isn't real, Hidgens. How else did you end up in Glasgow Costa with me, when, as you say, I'm dead and you're in a London prison? Well, technically speaking you're dying in a hospital, but you're still under arrest."

"Dying…" muttered Becky. "So this is the gateway to the afterlife and you're my guide. They could have sent my brother but no, I got you."

"It's okay, Becky," Curt said, appearing out of nowhere and walking towards her. "You don't have to come yet."

Amelia rolled her eyes. "Curt, when will you realise that nobody is asking for your opinion?"

Becky narrowed her eyes. "You might be a figment of my imagination, but don't you dare speak to my brother that way."

Amelia shrugged. "Okay. Anyway, if you'll just come with me…"

"Hold up," interrupted Curt, placing a firm hand on Becky's shoulder. "I don't think Becky's finished with life yet."

"Oh, she's very much finished," chuckled Amelia. "I won, remember?"

Becky narrowed her eyes and faced Amelia directly. "I think it's time you get out of my head."

Amelia shook her head. "It's not that easy. I won't just leave, after all there's no rent here, why wouldn't I stay? No, if you want me to leave you'll have to sort that small matter of the murder charge."

"Seriously, Amelia, bugger off so I can talk to my sister," Curt said impatiently.

Amelia rolled her eyes and disappeared through a doorway, leaving Becky alone with Curt. "You know I have to follow her," Curt continued. "But you don't. You can if you want, but I think you should hang on in there. Go back. Get out of prison. Clean up this mess. You'll see me again one day, Becky. But your friends are alive and they're waiting. It's time for you to wake up."

Becky opened her eyes and took in her surroundings. Sure enough, she was in the hospital. A prison officer stood in each corner of the room, and there were several wires connecting her to a machine which she assumed was keeping her alive.

"Thank God," said Paul, leaning back in his chair and breathing a sigh of relief. "Good to have you back."

Becky frowned. "I'm not exactly back yet. I'm still under arrest."

Paul smiled. "I'm just glad you're alive. And about that...we found you a lawyer. She wanted to speak to you alone."

Becky pulled herself into a sitting position as Paul opened the door and Lisa stepped inside nervously. "I'll leave you to it," Paul said as he left the room.

"Hello again," Lisa said, sitting down next to Becky.

"I thought you were in Australia?" asked Becky.

Lisa nodded. "I flew in with Hannah a few weeks ago. I'll be representing you."

Becky smiled for a moment, then frowned again. "So you're getting involved with all this again? What happened to having nothing more to do with me or Amelia?"

"Hannah can be very persuasive," Lisa replied. "Plus I owe you an explanation and it's long overdue. Why I did what I did."

"I know why you did it," Becky replied, unsure of where this was going. "Amelia was using you. Just like she used everyone around her."

Lisa shook her head. "Not that. I was talking about high school. It wasn't just Amelia that made your life hell, it was me too. The least I can do is apologise and explain myself."

Becky nodded, sensing that Lisa needed this just as much as her, if not more. "I was jealous of you," Lisa began. "Because, well...Becky, you're gay, right?"

"Bi," said Becky.

Lisa nodded. "Right. The thing is, you were so open about it. I know it probably wasn't always that way, but I remember how you weren't afraid to make jokes about how your favourite jeans were ironically straight jeans, or whenever something was slightly bent out of shape you'd say 'welp, still straighter than me', or talk about your crush on Elizabeth Olsen...you get my point. I couldn't even come out to my best friends. And I took it out on you, because I wanted to be as confident as you, and because Amelia liked making your life hell, and I had no right to do that. I'm truly sorry, Becky."

Becky knew exactly what Lisa meant. "It was something I'd known about myself for a long time before I came out," she replied. "There were times when I was about to tell Amelia, but I just couldn't. Then I met the Costa Crew, and I don't think there are words that can describe how much they helped me. It can't have been easy for you, with Lisa Beck going out with boys every other week, and Amelia…"

"Yeah," Lisa said, cutting Becky off. "I hope you'll let me help you. After all, if not for you I'd be in prison, instead of well...where I am now."

"Not prison," suggested Becky. Lisa laughed.

"Exactly."

"I trust you, Lisa," said Becky. "Things aren't great right now, as you can see. But I didn't kill Amelia. Let's see, it's September now...provided I don't die in prison before we clear my name, I'll be out and home for Christmas."

Lisa frowned. "Becky, it's nearly Halloween."

Becky groaned. "Bugger."