Chapter 14 - Accusation

A week had passed since Paul had spoken to Anthony, and the notion that his best friend could be the Godfather had died down. After all, it wasn't just Amelia that hated Becky, Anthony would also say anything to bring her down. And as Hannah had reminded him, he knew Becky better than anyone, and instincts told him that she was innocent.

Becky herself had no idea that these accusations had been thrown around, and with no further emails from Amelia she was beginning to calm down. After everything that had happened, what she really needed was a night surrounded by people she could trust. So after work Charlotte, Ted and Bruce came straight to Becky, Paul and Hannah's apartment to drink Pepsi and eat pizza, just like the good old days.

"Sorry, that's me," Becky said as a phone rang. There was no number listed. "Hello?" she answered.

"Who's looking after the kids?" asked Amelia Murphy.

Becky nearly dropped her phone. "Who is this?" she asked, her voice trembling.

Amelia's voice chuckled. "You know who it is. You've always known who it is. Who's looking after the kids?"

Everyone stared at Becky intently. "This has to be a recording," she said, "you're dead."

"I have no idea what you said, but I'm going to assume you didn't answer," Amelia continued. "You should really make sure someone's looking after the Monroe children. I mean, if something tragic were to happen to them…"

Becky hung up. "Charlotte, you need to get home," she said immediately. "The kids are in trouble. Amelia."

Charlotte jumped to her feet. "What?"

"There's no time," pressed Becky. "Just go."

Charlotte rushed downstairs and out the door, Paul and Ted close behind. Becky grabbed her laptop and plugged her phone in.

"Becky, what's going on?" asked Hannah.

"Amelia!" cried Becky. "She called...somehow...it must have been a recording. But I can trace the call."

But before Becky could start, there was a hammering on the door. When nobody went to open it, there was a yell of "ARMED POLICE!"

"Let them in," said Becky, closing her laptop and getting to her feet.

As Hannah opened the door, she found herself immediately shoved out of the way. "Hands above your head!" yelled Erica Miller. "All of you, get your hands where I can see them!"

Becky, Hannah and Bruce immediately raised their hands. "Sergeant Miller?" asked Becky. "What's going on?"

"Don't talk, just keep your hands in the air," Erica replied coldly, her gun fixed on Becky. She glanced at Hannah and Bruce. "You two, against the wall, keep your hands up," she said. As Hannah and Bruce did as they were told, Erica nodded to one of her officers.

The officer pulled out a set of handcuffs and approached Becky, who lowered her hands and allowed the cuffs to lock around her wrists. "It's safe, sir!" shouted Erica.

Footsteps approached as DCI Drake ascended the stairs and entered the flat. "Rebecca Hidgens, I'm arresting you for the murder of Amelia Murphy. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something you will later rely on in court. Anything you do say can be used in evidence."

Becky's jaw dropped. "What? DCI Drake, I didn't kill Amelia! You know I didn't!"

As Becky was marched out of the flat, Hannah and Bruce dropped their hands and turned to look at each other. "What the opposite of heaven?" muttered Hannah.