Chapter 15 - Results

There was a clear spring in Drake's step as he led the way into the station reception. "Get her clothes as evidence, then show her to a holding cell," he instructed, before turning to the receptionist. "Suspect Rebecca Hidgens, arresting officer DCI Drake. Book her in."

"A please would be nice," muttered Becky, shooting Drake a dirty look as she was escorted upstairs, changed into a prison uniform and then led to a holding cell. Erica removed the handcuffs and Becky stepped inside and didn't try to run as the door closed behind her.

Drake's eyes narrowed as he stared through the small glass panel on the door. "You know, I'm pretty sure that your friend Amelia Murphy was detained in this very cell," he murmured thoughtfully. "Can't say this team doesn't do good work."

He slammed the shutter over, leaving Becky alone with her thoughts. Which wasn't the worst thing in the world, she had plenty of interesting thoughts. For example, the Marvel Cinematic Universe and how Avengers Endgame was still the greatest cinematic experience of her life. She had gasped at several moments and cried at every death. Not as much as she had cried at Curt's death, and she had argued with him and now he was gone and it was too late for her to make it right and even if she got out of prison she couldn't live with herself. Oh dear, that got dark quickly. It was going to be a long 25 or more years. She was already going insane after 25 seconds.

Meanwhile Drake had never been prouder of himself, knowing that his promotion to Superintendent wasn't that far away. Strolling into his office, he dialled the number for One Police Plaza. "Hello, this is DCI Drake, can you put me through to the Chief Constable? About the murder of Amelia Murphy."

While he waited he leaned back in his chair - the angle of which he had indeed adjusted - and smirked. "Chief Constable Hunt, sir. I'm happy to say we've got our killer. Yes, it's Hidgens. Her prints were on the body, she was recorded as arriving at the prison on the afternoon of the murder, she was Murphy's last visitor and according to witnesses at the prison she was threatening to harm Murphy however she could. Means, motive and opportunity, it's all there. She'd have to have the best lawyer in the world to get her out of this one."

"Excellent work, DCI Drake," replied Hunt, sounding satisfied. "Once you've interrogated her make sure you call the Prosecution Service - ask for Lisa Beck. She'll be handling the case with you."

Drake nearly dropped the phone. "Beck? Not Lestrade?"

"That's right. Problem?"

Drake hesitated, trying to think of what to say next. "No sir, none at all," was all he could manage before hanging up.

Before he could begin filling out an arrest report, a door slammed in the distance. Drake got up to go and investigate and wasn't surprised to see Paul Houston storming towards him. "You let her go NOW!" Paul roared.

Drake could have punched him. "You're not the boss of me any more, Paul," he snarled.

Paul shook his head. "Paul was your colleague who tolerated you and respected your judgement as a police officer, you are now dealing with your senior officer. Superintendent Houston or sir, I don't mind which."

"Now's not the time to pull rank," Drake replied defiantly. "Hidgens has means, motive and opportunity. I'll be happy to show you the evidence another day, but right now I just want to get home. Quite frankly I'm exhausted and you're not helping."

"Just let me see her," pleaded Paul. "Just so I can tell everyone that she's safe."

Drake rolled his eyes. "Fine," he sighed. "Two minutes."

Paul followed Drake to Becky's cell, where Drake yelled, "Stand away from the door!" and unlocked it. "Two minutes," he said as Paul stepped inside.

Becky looked up, but didn't stand. "Paul, I didn't do it," she stated flatly.

Paul nodded. "I know you didn't. And we will clear your name, trust me. I don't know how, but we will."

"If I may…" interjected Drake.

"You may not," chorused Paul and Becky.

"For God's sake, will at least one of you just hear me out?" spluttered Drake. "Hidgens, I do believe you killed Amelia Murphy. But I know that, as in every case, there's a slight chance you didn't. So tomorrow you'll be transferred to prison and charged for the murder of Amelia Murphy. But we won't ask any questions until Paul...sorry, Superintendent Houston, finds you a good lawyer. Don't take too long though, it's only a matter of time before Hunt starts pressing me for results. And unlike DSU Houston I don't have two...well, one I suppose, flatmates to support me if my career goes down the drain."

"Thank you, DCI Drake," said Paul curtly. "For the record I still think you're a self-absorbed asshole, but I appreciate this, just as I appreciate you sending me all your evidence and files tomorrow."

Becky couldn't help smirking. But her face quickly fell as she realised that she would soon be going to prison. While the holding cell was freezing and smelled disgusting, she was at least safe. In prison she'd be surrounded by hardened criminals, some of which she helped send to prison. And she was a former MI5 Agent.

She wouldn't last five minutes.