Chapter 13 - The Seeds of Doubt

Connelly bounced nervously on the balls of his feet as three detectives passed through the metal detector and approached him. "Mr Connelly, I'm DCI Drake," their leader said, shaking his hand. "This is DS White and DC Barlow."

Connelly nodded to the pair. "DC Barlow, I want you to go with Mr Connelly and get a list of everyone who visited Murphy in the last week," Drake continued. "I also want a copy of the guard's shifts and the CCTV footage from 24 hours before the murder to 24 hours after. DS White, you're with me. We need a look at Murphy's cell."

"Mr Connelly."

Drake scowled as he turned to see Paul Houston, Samantha Foster and Ben Davis entering the prison and approaching them. "Paul, we had an agreement."

"We're here to see Anthony Andrews," Paul said to Connelly.

Connelly forced a smile. "Very well. All of you, follow me."

Drake joined Paul at the back of the party. "Andrews?" he asked.

Paul nodded. "Amelia told him more than she told anyone else. It's possible he knew something about Amelia's death, or even the names of some corrupt officers."

"You might have a point," Drake conceded. "What about Lisa Kleinman?"

"We're not sure on that one," Paul replied. "Samantha thinks Kleinman told us everything she knew about Amelia's operations back when she testified, but it's possible she was working for someone higher up and they had Amelia take the fall."

"So you're flying her in from Australia?" asked Drake.

Paul shook his head. "You know we can't do that on a hunch. Hannah dropped all the charges against her and she's legally an Australian citizen, we can't justify flying her in if she doesn't want to. If we get more evidence then sure, I'll see what she has to say."

"I think you'll mean I'll see what she has to say," Drake said sharply. "It's my investigation."

They returned their attention to Connelly as the group slowed to a halt in front of Lindsey Kirk and another man. "DCI Drake, DS White, this is Lindsey Kirk, head of Cell Block C, please follow her to Murphy's cell. DSU Houston, DS Foster, DC Davis, this is Corban Montgomery, head of Cell Block D, he'll show you to the visitors area. DC Barlow, please follow me."

***

"Wait here please," Montgomery told the trio as they sat down in the visitors area.

He returned to Cell Block D, found the cell he was looking for, then yelled, "Stand away from the door!" as the guards unlocked it.

Anthony Andrews stood in the centre of his cell, facing the wall. As Montgomery entered, Anthony spun to face him and the guards. "Good entrance, right?" he asked in a monotone voice.

Guards Rob Clippington and Ivan Imagain shoved Anthony against the wall while Montgomery handcuffed him. "Cut the crap, Andrews, you got visitors," spat Montgomery.

Anthony scowled, but didn't resist as Clippington and Imagain shoved him forward, a few paces at a time, all the while wondering who on Earth would want to see him. After all, everyone who cared about him either didn't care after all or was in prison. Well, all except for...

"Houston," Anthony snarled, as his train of thought was interrupted by the sight of the three detectives on the opposite side of the glass.

Paul didn't say anything as he took in what Anthony had become over the last four years. The last time they had met Anthony had always had some awareness of style, at least that was what he thought, always dressing in crisp suits and keeping his shoes well polished, while keeping his hair neatly trimmed and Paul could only assume that he shaved regularly. By contrast, Anthony was now beginning to grow a beard, his hair was growing out into a dishevelled mess, and his badly beaten face looked as if all life had been drained from it. While Amelia had deteriorated physically, her eyes had undeniably never seemed more alive. Anthony's eyes on the other hand, looked vacant and empty. He had given up on everything.