Detective Detective

* Aspen *

"How's your day been?" Unity asks me, sitting down next to me at lunch.

"It was," I exhale heavily, "eventful."

"People have been coming up to me asking what happened," Unity mumbled. "It's hella awkward and all I could think was, it's not none of their business anyways." I scoff, in agreement with what she said. "Then they catch an attitude with you when you don't wanna answer. Or they got some slick shit to say about you. Starting a whole 'nother round of drama," I add.

"Exactly," Unity laughed, popping a French fry into her mouth. "You know...I really wish you'd tell me what Nieva's damn secret is because she gets all awkward about it when I try to ask," I scowl. "I'm her best friend, she shouldn't feel insecure around me."

"I don't think it's you. I think she's afraid about what everyone else will think because of some past experiences she's dealt with," Unity comments.

"I know she used to be bullied," I supply. "But I never knew why. Just gimme a hint," I beg.

"No," Unity sends me a sharp look. "It's not for me to tell," she sighs, seeing my hurt expression.

"What? Is she secretly straight or some shit? I can't think of anything else," I complain. "Maybe wait for when she's ready, Aspen. That's my best advice to you. It's already enough drama going on. Let things die down first around school and between you two." Unity gestured to Nieva across the cafeteria. "Look, there she goes. I don't know if she'll sit with us today, but I tried to convince her to."

I frown. "If you have to convince her to sit with us then maybe she needs to sit elsewhere."

"Damn Aspen. Why the fuck do you have to be so defensive all the time? You think everybody has bad intentions," Unity sighs, an annoyed expression on her face. "She might need her space. After all, you're the one who encouraged her to give you some space."

"You're right," I play with my food.

"I don't mean to be mean, Aspen," Unity says softly, "it just upsets me to see my two favorite friends not getting along. That's all."

"I know. And I'm making things even more complicated by being pushy and by being an asshole." I look up at Unity. "But you don't understand. I don't even understand myself right now. All I want is some clarity from Nieva. Not this distance or these secrets."

"Nothing in life comes in a package with a bow."

"Yeah, it's rather unfortunate," I mumble, watching Nieva glance at us then leave the cafeteria.

I get onto my mom's red motorcycle, putting my things away in the back and holding onto her. I feel alive, my ears grateful for the silence she's granting me on our ride. I let the wind waft through my braids and sting my hot face.

Like always, we're at our house way too soon.

"How was school today?"

I shrug.

"That's not an answer, Aspen," my mother states sharply. Well, it's my answer today. "It was fine," I say instead. "Mhm." I get my stuff and we head into the house. "Mom, do you remember anything about Nieva when she first moved here?" I suddenly pipe up.

"Oh. Why?" she turned around, kicking off her shoes by the front door. "I remember she moved to Elverwood you guy's ninth grade year," she supplied.

"She's hiding something from me and won't tell me what it is," I answer honestly. "But she told Unity what it was. Something just feels fishy about all this."

"Aspen, coming from the woman that birthed you, I know that sometimes you can be an overly pushy person," my mother said, amusement dancing in her eyes. "Maybe you should lay back."

"Everybody's been telling me that, but I'm her best friend."

"Why does it matter so much for you to know?"

"Because...I can tell that this secret is eating away at her and I can't stand to see her be anything but happy," I mumble.

"I understand," my mother said softly. She fumbled with her wedding ring. "Now, I'm not supposed to tell you this so don't go around talking about it. I'm decent friends with Nieva's mother. One day...she confided in me about her husband's cheating. How it ate away at their family. Maybe that's her secret? Had she told you about that before?"

"No," I shake my head, trying to think hard of the past few years we've spent together. I shake my head. "No. It's not that though. I can feel it."

"Well, this isn't probably the best encouragement to give you. But maybe you should start digging," my mother shrugged.

"But where would I even start," I sigh, looking down at my own hands as if they held a clue.

"Start where she lives."